cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slight Concerns

Lightning1
Grafter

Slight Concerns

Hi,  I'm very pleased with the change over of service to PlusNet so far from my old provider Virgin.  It activated today which was a day early than expected which is fantastic!.  I know my line will fluctuate in the next 10 days or so..  but I just have a few concerns at the moment that I'm not sure myself if its indicative of a early fault or just normal for the first 10-days or so.
The problem is; my latency to gaming servers is above the 90-100's++  (On the PlusNet Pro Package), I thought to myself well ok, I got this same latency with Virgin but thought with PlusNet pro it would reduce <70 atleast giving the reputation and various feedback.
Results On router:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:43:04
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,368
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.5 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / P
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

PingPlotter Screenshot to show the loss of packets over the different Hops to the servers in Frankfurt.  Now when I did this pinplot on my other ISP there was 0 packet loss.. just bad traffic management + high latencys. 

Now I'm obviously just looking for some reassurance that this isnt a line fault or anything like that and its just caused by the recent activation on 10-day warm up period.  Any information or advice would be welcomed. 
Ty.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Slight Concerns

The only thing in your stats which is concerning is the downstream noise margin - it shouldn't be that high and indicates that there may have been instability problems causing the default noise margin to rise from the 6dB default.
However - when you say you transferred from Virgin I assume that this wasn't LLU or Cable so your default noise margin may have come with you and there won't be a 10 day training period.
I don't know anything about the packet loss
Lightning1
Grafter

Thankyou for the quick reply.  Yes the assumption is correct, which then means there is no 10-day training period which I hoped was the lead cause of my slight issues.   The downstream noise margin is something that needs to be looked into by an engineer or?  I'm not sure really where to take it from here as there seems to be some issues with the line but hard to tell whats going on to be honest.
jim:quote
zubel
Community Veteran

My guess is a noisy line + interleaving is causing the packet loss.
A few important troubleshooting steps:
1.  Is there any audible noise on your line?  Using a corded phone ONLY (no router or anything plugged into extensions), dial 17070, option 2 and listen for any popping, clicking or hissing.  If any of this is apparent,  call your telephone provider and report a noise fault.  Try to do this when the line is noisy and get the operator to confirm they can hear the noise.  DO NOT MENTION BROADBAND!
2.  Please post your router stats again, when the router is plugged directly into the test socket (that's the socket behind the master socket) with nothing else plugged into the filter.
3.  Describe your internal telephone setup (extensions, sky boxes, other phones and filters)
Cheers
B.
Lightning1
Grafter

1.  Is there any audible noise on your line?  Using a corded phone ONLY (no router or anything plugged into extensions), dial 17070, option 2 and listen for any popping, clicking or hissing.  If any of this is apparent,  call your telephone provider and report a noise fault.  Try to do this when the line is noisy and get the operator to confirm they can hear the noise.  DO NOT MENTION BROADBAND!
- Unfortunately we don't have a corded only phone handy to fully test the line noise, but with the cordless handset there seems to be no noticable noise, but some very very faint popping but not sure if its anything at this point.
                                                - There's also some very faint buzzing on the line and gets slightly louder after the 1st interval of it saying "Line test" but for a 10 second duration. It's never been noticable on a phone conversation etc so it would be really difficult for anyone to hear noise as quite as it is on the line test.

- We have also had to have our phone line rental transferred over to you guys since Virgin phone line rental gets terminated along with the Broadband service. I'm not sure if it would be wise to raise the fault with them if anything since in 10working days my phone line rental etc will be with you.

2.  Please post your router stats again, when the router is plugged directly into the test socket (that's the socket behind the master socket) with nothing else plugged into the filter.
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:06:24
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,560
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 16.0 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 14.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 110

Some  Ping tests on  speedtest.net  have huge paket loss/unable to send/recieve any packets at all.

3.  Describe your internal telephone setup (extensions, sky boxes, other phones and filters)
Appears to be two phone line sockets.  1 downstairs and 1 upstairs with both having a test socket ~ lower faceplate can be removed. They have the BT logo with the trumpet guy. The wiring doesnt look up to scratch but not sure if it has anything to do with my issues - One socket when removed doesnt have the wiring attached to the faceplate at all.
One of the faceplates didnt correctly work when the Sky man came to install the boxes since he had to connect them up initially for activation.  I'm not sure what he did but he fiddled with the outside box and said it's all working.. which did seem to do the trick but unsure of what he altered.

Both filters are on the lines;  
Socket 1:  Filter ---> Cordless Phone
Socket 2:  Filter --->Router--->PC
We do have sky boxes but the main one was never connected into the phone line by the engineers for some reason and has been left since.
Seems to be getting worse as I investigate further into the reasons behind my problem at the moment.
I'm not sure what to do next or if taking any screens of the phone sockets/wiring would be of any help.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Appears to be two phone line sockets.  1 downstairs and 1 upstairs with both having a test socket ~ lower faceplate can be removed.

That' s not normal , sounds like your installation is a bit unusual.
I'm not sure what to do next or if taking any screens of the phone sockets/wiring would be of any help.

I think some pictures are a good start so we can can a better idea of your wiring. Photos of the socket with the lower faceplate removed and also photos of the back of the lower faceplate would be useful

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lightning1
Grafter

Socket in Room:  The mini line to the right has had its line cut (like this when moved in) so doesnt work at all. 

Socket in Room with faceplate removed:

Socket in Living room:

Living Room faceplate removed:

Sorry for low quality screens but its the best I can do for now.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's not too easy to see from those photos but its a start. We could really do with a closeup of the faceplate wiring.
It looks like the socket in the living room is supposed to be the Master as that has wires from the faceplate. We need to check that first, when the faceplate is removed from the living room socket, is the socket in the other room dead ?
If thats the case then is it possible to plug the router into the test socket in the living room ( with the faceplate removed ) and post the stats , or was that 2nd set of stats already from that socket ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lightning1
Grafter

Thanks for the replys so far^
Removed the downstairs faceplate doesn't knock out the connection upstairs and vice versa.   The 2nd stats are from the socket downstairs.  I am unable to provide a decent screenshot since its my laptop webcam trying to take them.  
After carefully opening the socket downstairs which appeared to have the faceplate connected with wires, it seems after further investigation that the wire leading out of the box (see final screenshot again) is completely cut.. Now I have no idea what is happening here but there seems to be a second wire that connects behind the socket into the test socket area.
Both sockets just seem to have one insulted wire going behind the socket and into the back of the test socket area, with no connected faceplate wiring.
Although the wires downstairs aren't being used for some reason the configuration on the faceplate was as follows:    (top)  6 - White/Orange     5 - White/Blue  4 - White/Green   3 - Orange  2 - Blue 1 - Green.  (The wire for this has been cut).  
Information on the faceplate if it helps:  UK REGD DE5  1036885

It's seeming to be a complete disaster right now and not sure if this needs a complete re-wiring/engineer to be called out, but the problem is I dont know if its BT I contact for this or a private engineer or even ask PlusNet..
I can download/watch youtube/I-player  fine, but the latency for games is just horrible(with packet loss) and not sure if the current wiring is ok or it is the causing issue which needs to be replaced for me to get the service im after.

The stats from the SN have completely changed from this morning...:

Uptime: 0 days, 1:55:08
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,800
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.0 / 28.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 21.0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 62
jim:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Removed the downstairs faceplate doesn't knock out the connection upstairs and vice versa.

That's bad news. It means that your 2 sockets are wired in parallel from a junction box somewhere.
The whole idea of a master socket with removeable faceplate is that BT own, and are responsible for, the wiring to this socket. All your additional internal wiring to other sockets is then connected to the removeable faceplate of the master socket. This means that when the faceplate is removed and you connect to the test socket then you eliminate ALL your internal wiring. In this way you can modify your internal wiring without needing BT involvement.
Your wiring doesnt seem to conform with this standard and therefore, since your internal wiring cant be isolated at the master socket, then BT would probably need to be involved in any rewiring.
As to whether your wiring is causing the problem, its difficult to say. However with a downstream attenuation of 28db, as reported by your router, you would expect a sync speed of 8128k with a target noise margin of 6db. It looks like the DLM at the exchange has raised the target noise margin on your line to 15db. This is usually due to noise interfering with the BB signal.
You do say in your reply to Barry
There's also some very faint buzzing on the line and gets slightly louder after the 1st interval of it saying "Line test" but for a 10 second duration. It's never been noticable on a phone conversation etc so it would be really difficult for anyone to hear noise as quite as it is on the line test

A quiet line test should be just that, quiet!, you shouldnt hear anything( well maybe a very very faint hum ). I'd be tempted to try a beg or borrow a corded phone and do the quiet line test again. If its still noisy then report it as a voice fault ( as Barry says ) to whoever is providing your phone service and they will get BT to come and fix it. Noisy lines can sometimes not be very noticable on normal voice calls TBH but they can have a huge effect on BB.

Lightning1
Grafter

Thankyou very much for the replys so far^  ~ I' will try to get the line noise issue sorted out and see if that resolves the latency issues im having. I think its probably most likely to do with the wiring and setup of the connection in the house that may be the issue so hopefully I can have that sorted out soon.