cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Broadband LLU to Plusnet Fibre

davidrle

Sky Broadband LLU to Plusnet Fibre

Hello
I'm currently on Sky Broadband LLU and placed an order for Plusnet Fibre last night.  During the order process it asked for a MAC code, which I didn't have.
The order has been placed and since then I've seen no further asking for a MAC code. Do I need one for the order to continue or can Plusnet do it without? Sky are trying to tell me I don't need a MAC code, but I have a feeling they are just trying to stall me.
Thanks
David
9 REPLIES 9
thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: Sky Broadband LLU to Plusnet Fibre

I had to when I left sky I rang them and it took a while but she finally gave in and said ok you should receive it by text within 24 hours, well nothing happened so I called sky again and she said oh yes you should of had a text (which I didn't) so she gave it to me over the phone. So them stalling cost my install to be about 10 days later then what it would of been if I had the mac code earlier. Once you get code then just call plusnet. I just had sky broadband not phone
davidrle

SKY are telling me they can't provide a MAC code, something to do with them providing the line as well as the broadband.
I know not providing a MAC is nonsense for a bog standard adsl connection, but I wondered as it was LLU and they provide the line that they were telling the truth?
I am switching to Plusnet Fibre + Phone line with plusnet.  It's at the:
Checking your details
We're gathering details about your account so we can place your broadband order.
stage of the order - I assume it won't progress till I provide a MAC code?
David
AndyH
Grafter

It's held up...this might help you (or be of advice):
Simultaneous Provide
Leaving a fully unbundled service such as Sky or TalkTalk, requires you to co-ordinate the provision of a new telephone line rental and broadband service.
The cost for the new telephone line rental service can be as high as £125, but many providers of line rental have offers running, or you can sign up for a longer term which reduces the cost considerably.
The method you are using is known as a Linked Order Process, and relies upon the new provider(s) placing a provision order for the telephone line rental and then giving you the customer a Linked Order Reference Number (LORN) which can then be passed to your chosen broadband provider. It is then used internally by Openreach to link the two orders together.
The use of a LORN overcomes the presence of tags, which result in a broadband order being rejected, and then a lengthy wait for the Openreach databases to update to reflect the true provider of the telephone line rental. This is why some people have a gap of a week or more when leaving companies like Sky and TalkTalk.
In some cases the actual move of the telephone service can happen early, and if this happens even when a LORN was assigned to the orders, Openreach should then provide the broadband service within 5 working days.
davidrle

So it sounds like SKY might not be telling porkies - essentially they were saying it was down to me having Sky Talk and the line was through them so it's not a straight forward MAC code (which usually requires BT to be involved somewhere).
I've left a support ticket with Plusnet for them to clarify.
bobprew

I switched from SKY LLU (Phone and ADSL Broadband) to Plusnet phone and fibre broadband and did not contact SKY at all. Plusnet handled the transfer from their end, no MAC code was required. It took a total of 14 days to complete without any problems.
Bob
thomasjc1
Grafter

Quote from: bobprew
I switched from SKY LLU (Phone and ADSL Broadband) to Plusnet phone and fibre broadband and did not contact SKY at all. Plusnet handled the transfer from their end, no MAC code was required. It took a total of 14 days to complete without any problems.
Bob

Out of interest was you without phone and broadband in those 14 days if so how long
bobprew

2 weeks after placing the order, the following happened:
08.00  SKY phone and Broadband disconnected. Phone line goes dead.
15.00  Plusnet phone line activated. Number transferred, incoming and out going calls working.
16.15  Open Reach engineer arrives. Installs BT/OR Fibre Modem. Connects Plusnet router.
16.30  66 Mb fibre broadband working.
So all within one working day !
Bob

Bob 
thomasjc1
Grafter

Thanks bob very quick move
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi davidrle,
Welcome to Plusnet and our community forums.
I can see that you've provided us with a MAC key and your installation is booked in for the 4th April, we're awaiting confirmation on that date which shouldn't take too long when we'll then confirm that with you.
Give me a nudge if you need anything.
Chris