cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Anytime+ download speeds on Fibre restricted ?

DuncanM
Grafter

Sky Anytime+ download speeds on Fibre restricted ?

I am on Fibre Extra without the pro add on and get about 43 Mbps download speed. I downloaded a 2.05GB HD episode of Dallas and it took 37 minutes to download in full. The Sky box is connected by Ethernet cable to the router. Are downloads via Sky restricted at peak times as this works out more like 8 Mbps ? I cant find any mention of specific traffic management for downloads from Anytime+. Its a shame the new sky EPG hasn't got a speedtest facility.
6 REPLIES 6
vultura
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Sky Anytime+ download speeds on Fibre restricted ?

It may be congestion on the Sky network.
http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/on-demand/using-sky-on-demand/how-long-will-it-take-to-download/
Has anyone seen my signature, it's gone missing.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

buy the new wireless connector from sky and it features wireless N that should work for fibre and designed for busy households with fibre optic broadbaand! only £9.99
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Err the wireless adapter won't be any faster than ethernet.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Mine is! As the Ethernet ports can be restricted to a speed limit
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

so you're suggesting that Sky cripple the ethernet port on their box (or put in a 10mb one) to force you buy the wireless adapter?
now as cynical as I am that's a bit far fetched and there would be complaints all over the net.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
prichardson
Grafter

Sky content such as this would be delivered from a Content Delivery Network (CDN). It depends which type of CDN it comes from on if we categorise it as "streaming" or "download servers".
Due to the way Anytime works, this is likely classified as a "download server".
Regardless, we provide "line speed" for both of these on Fibre Extra. This means that it will support the most possible based on network demand at the time, but this does not account for congestion of external portions (such as the CDN itself) or if the Sky Anytime service rate restricts itself.
You can see how we define your experience for Fibre Extra on the following link.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_experience.shtml
The links to the Sky support guides supplied are pretty meaningless in the context of the question here. They are a good indication on what to expect on the slowest of broadband connections, but not any details on a better connectivity speed that is clearly available on a Fibre Extra service.