Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sinking profile/ speed

James
Grafter

Re: Sinking profile/ speed

Hi Jim,
Whilst I do agree with your suggestion, I would also suggest that the noise margin is fluctuating for a reason and using the DLM tool would potentially cause intermittency if you were to be forcing down to noise margin.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: James
Hi Jim,
Whilst I do agree with your suggestion, I would also suggest that the noise margin is fluctuating for a reason and using the DLM tool would potentially cause intermittency if you were to be forcing down to noise margin.
I'm lost!!!! Back to my earlier post: worth a spin to ask for a SNR reduction, or not? Were you intending to attach the averages?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
James
Grafter

Lucerne,
It's not really worth it because your SNR seems to be fluctuating.  But this could be caused by your modem, in which case going for the router that Jim has suggested could be a good idea.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

My noise margin also used to fluctuate but at specific times in the late evening it dropped by about 5 dB.
That is why I used to force my default margin down if I needed to resynch at those times. I very quickly found the sweet spot (in my case a synch speed of about 3,500kbps) where the line held up for long periods.
The point about altering the noise margin is not to force the speed up to its maximum but to use it to achieve a stable speed.
If changing to a router reduced the fluctuation then you can push the speed higher.
One of the things a good router does is effective bit swapping so that the tones where there is most noise are dropped. This in itself reduces the variation in reported noise margin.
Luzern
Hero

[font=Verdana]Grrr[/font]
At this rate I'll need a deep sea diving bell to be on line. When I went on yesterday morning things had improved, vut haf to be out ay hospital sp tuend off computer then it happened , the lowest figs ever, and still the same this morning.
  IP profile for your line is - 350 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  4000 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 318 kbps
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

lucerne,
I had a similar problem. I brougt a new modem, but no real improvement.
My ADSL router is about 60 feet from Master socket.
I brougt a new modem, but no real improvement.
I disconnected the bell wire at the master socket, and extend only the bluewhite / whiteblue wires to the extensions.
I use Solwise micro filters purchased back in 2003 in front of every phone.
A filter I brought from a local hardware store was dreadful.
Results were dramatic.
Have a look at:
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
My ADSL have been very good for the last week.
I now use an eTEC modem which does not list ADSL SHOW CHANNEL figures.
James
Grafter

I think this really highlights the need to be plugged directly into your master socket via a filter.  When extensions and lengthy copper or aluminium wiring are brought into play, especially on max, the possibility of resynchronisation events at a lower speed is far more likely than if the optimal setup were to be used.
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: Jameseh
I think this really highlights the need to be plugged directly into your master socket via a filter.  When extensions and lengthy copper or aluminium wiring are brought into play, especially on max, the possibility of resynchronisation events at a lower speed is far more likely than if the optimal setup were to be used.
OT, but I have big problesmw with comp today, so am posting from elsewhare. James there is a rssponse to the question you raised from support.
James
Grafter

Thanks Lucerne.
Hope you manage to sort things out soon.
Luzern
Hero

dougrice
As it happns the previous owner had that done aleady. Smiley
decomplexity
Rising Star

Agreed: converting to an [ADSLNation] filtered faceplate + router + no ring-wire  can work wonders for anyone using a USB modem and an in-line cheapo filter.

Remember that if you are some distance from the master socket you may be better off keeping the router plugged into the master socket using a short length of decent cable and linking your PC to the router using wireless or Homeplug-type links. What matters to the exchange is how the local-loop link to your router behaves, not what is behind it. 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can't find the email but I asked ADSLNation about this and they advised that removal of the ring wire wasn't necessary as the filter blocks the interference.
Certainly my experience where I removed the ring wire with an immediate improvement before fitting their filtered faceplate and then put it back after fitting it showed no reduction in speed or stability.
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Oldjim, Interesting! I have been told you can buy filtered faceplates from Solwise.
My ADSL is about 60 feet from master socket, and my three phones are via 2003 vintage Solwire Micro filters on the original extension wiring.
Only the A & B wires are extended to the slave sockets, and all is working very well now.
Their faceplate uses the six wires,
The unfiltered ADSL is extended on the spare wires 1&6
The filtered A&B wires and filtered BELL on the standard wires.
www.bt.com do not seem to sell  a solution other than a wireless solution!
Luzern
Hero

Am I right BT will not investigate unless something or other is 20(?)% below something, Thing is I can't recall what are the somethings. Embarrassed
Luzern
Hero

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Lucerne,
Sorry - I didn't copy and paste the averages!
It is possible that you may just have to deal with the fluctuations that you are seeing, although it is possibly down to your modem. I'd always recommend an upgrade to a router, because then you're less likely to have software problems and they're generally a lot more stable that a USB Modem, especially as you don't have to reconnect every time that you start up your computer.
Hilited part.... When my S-i-L got me out of my computer disaster  yesterday, he too mentioned routers, and said he had an old Netgear that he would lend or give me to see if it would help my problems. Also opined that he thought a wireless connection to the router at master socket might be 'flakey' because of the wall and floor between master and computer. In his house operating his lap top in the romm immediately beihind the hall, that has the BT socket is out but in the kitchen and dining room at rear of house it works.
BTW this morning at 6.30ish I synched at 4352, downstream actual was 410.
If I am being obtuse, so be it, but I sincerely doubt that contention can be a major problem at 6.30 am and anyway isn't IP profile based on synch rate.