cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Silly question maybe...

thehatman
Grafter

Silly question maybe...

This might sound daft but maybe someone can advise in simple terms. Although an experienced pc user I've never connected to the web via anything other than a usb modem. I'm now getting a laptop which I'll want to connect wirelessly.  I don't think my current pc (quite old) has a wreless card and I'm quite happy using the USB connection with that.  How do I connect both the pc and the new laptop to my broadband service?
18 REPLIES 18
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Silly question maybe...

You will need to get yourself a wireless router so both can be connected at the same time as you can only have one PC connected using a USB modem and it does not support a wireless connection. This is a separate box (like your USB modem) which connects via an EThernet cable. You need to check your existing PC to see if it has a network port and if not get a cheap PCI network card.
If you are on any of the BBYW products you can get a free one* from PlusNet
* subject to T&C
thehatman
Grafter

Thanks for the speedy reply. What would the network port on my current pc look like?  And does this mean that with the new router the main pc still connects via a cable? (Which seems to make sense as only the laptop will be moved about).
Edited to add: I don't tink I have an Ethernet port.  Would this be good enough (link below ) or could a router connect via USB 2?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/117113/show_product_specifications#specifications
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the supplied 4 port router hasnt got a USB port, it has four ethernet and wireless, you get that with BBYW 2 upwards, not sure what they are doing on the two lesser options, it has been fluid recently.  You can get a USB WiFi adaptor, it is not the best option though, it is slower than ethernet or PC card Wifi
If you havnt got a WiFi router and are prepared to pay £6.99 P&P and will stay for 12 months you can get the new router "Free", if you leave early you pay prorata.
I take it you are an existing PN customer?
thehatman
Grafter

I've been with PN for about 8 years. I might want to stay on PAYG though.  Is the Belkin card ok for me?  (on the link).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

wait till tomorrow and see what Jemeseh  has to say
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

That card should be ok.
and there's no such thing as a silly question only a silly answer Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
thehatman
Grafter

Two points:
1) What do others think of the Tompson router?  I don't want disconnects when I leave Bittorrent on overnight.  (The little USB modem I have had for years has been rock solid).
2)  Once I have the pci card in my computer and the router, I don't need a modem do I?  That's inside the router, yes? (So the router and the pci ethernet card replace my existing USB modem and that's all I need?)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

my one hasnt dropped yet, but I am on a good line, what came first - the chicken or the Egg?  really need to know your stats before that question can be answered.  you can get some by doing the BT speed test  http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The Thomson 585v7 uses the Broadcom chipset which is often recommended for long lines.
If you are buying one the Netgear DG834G v4 has the same chipset
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Thehatman The answer to your second point is no you do not need a separate modem as the Thomson 585 v7 has an ADSL2+ capable modem built in.
How about clicking the 'Exchange Info' link in my sig to see if you can make the most of that ADSL2+ capability.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
thehatman
Grafter

Thanks everybody.
March 2009 is the date for my exchange (Brixton, south London) to go 24meg apparently.
Is this the router?  I'd really prefer it in black.  (Black Dell pc).

Or is it this one:

That is nicer, but again would go with my other stuff if black.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The lower one is the Thomson TG585v7. Available in any colour you like as long as you pick cream with a grey top. Cheesy
David
thehatman
Grafter

Is that the one PN supply?  The Thomson TG585v7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yes it is.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'