cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant speed increase from improving the wiring?

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Significant speed increase from improving the wiring?

Hi folks,
As a newcomer to Plusnet, and indeed ADSL, there was a certain amount of expectation management going on when my predicted line speed was 2.5Mbps. Following connection I was pleasantly surprised to find I was actually getting around 3 - 3.5Mbps (and 375kbps upload).
I then set about squeezing every last drop out of what I could achieve, or at least giving myself the best chance, with the aid of an XTE-2005 filtered faceplate and moving my modem from an extension socket to an ADSL-only socket that I colocated with the master. It wasn't that the existing wiring was necessarilly suspect - the house is only a couple of years old - but I thought what the heck it was worth a punt..
Wind forward a few days and the results have been unbelievable - I'm now seeing speeds double that predicted (and previously obtained)!

Is this typical? Perhaps what I'm also wondering is: is this likely to stay or are momentary improvements to be expected before settling back down to something more conservative? I suppose I'm curious as to how the initial estiamate could be so far out (not complaining of course!).
Interestingly, whilst my download speed has rocketed my upload speed hasn't changed at all - again is this to be expected?
Of course, perhaps it is only coincidence that this has occured following my rewiring so anyone's thoughts would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Mathew
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Significant speed increase from improving the wiring?

Quote from: MJN
Wind forward a few days and the results have been unbelievable - I'm now seeing speeds double that predicted (and previously obtained)!

Is this typical? Perhaps what I'm also wondering is: is this likely to stay or are momentary improvements to be expected before settling back down to something more conservative? I suppose I'm curious as to how the initial estimate could be so far out (not complaining of course!).
Interestingly, whilst my download speed has rocketed my upload speed hasn't changed at all - again is this to be expected?

It's not unusual to see a significant improvement from the changes you made. There's no reason to expect this won't be sustained as long as disconnections or high transmission error rates don't occur due to the higher speeds.
Your upload speed won't increase because it was previously at the maximum (448kbps upload sync speed). Upload data uses lower frequencies than download data and those frequencies are far less susceptible to the line noise your wiring changes will have reduced.
David
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Significant speed increase from improving the wiring?

Quote from: spraxyt
There's no reason to expect this won't be sustained as long as disconnections or high transmission error rates don't occur due to the higher speeds.

Finger's crossed!  Smiley
Upload data uses lower frequencies than download data and those frequencies are far less susceptible to the line noise your wiring changes will have reduced.

Ah, okay. Thanks for that - makes sense.
Mathew