cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant Speed Drop

KitFox
Grafter

Significant Speed Drop

Ok I wondered if anyone was suffering a significant speed drop or if it was just me?
I mean my max d/l speed is usually 180 - 210 kB/s , which I accept as i'm not exactly close to the exchange and it isnt a 21CN network one & BT have no plans to upgrade it form what I can tell.
but recently my top d/l speed has dropped well down to 50-60 kB/s at the best of times.  It makes using some parts of the web impossible.
Now the response I've had so far is that its a fault at my end, which is interesting as nothing had changed before the drop to cause a drop.  In fact till the ticket had its first response nothing had even been rebooted (not even the PC)  So no hardware/software changed had occured.
However a lot of work had been carried out on the green junction box in my village for about 2 weeks and the speed drop coincided with that work.
Now i'd like to know who is at fault?  BT or Plusnet?  As my end all checks ok, bar the repeated appearance in my router logs of suspected kernel intrustions from a wide variety of worldwide IPs which apparently is nothing to be concerned about :S
5 REPLIES 5
HaydnExport
Grafter

Re: Significant Speed Drop

if you post your router stats , attenuation etc , plus what it says on the bt speedtester site and what ip profile plusnet have you on (sorry cant link these for you had to reformatt my hd yesterday and haven't got around to bookmarking them) . The more knowledgable peeps on here will put you on the right track  Smiley
KitFox
Grafter

From my router, which is a Dlink DSL 2740B
Mode :  	G.DMT 
Type: Interleave
Line Coding : Trellis On

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps) :                             1952  448
SNR Margin (dB) :                     14.5  17.0
Attenuation (dB) :                     55.0  27.0
Output Power (dBm) :               12.1  17.3

from the BT speedtester
Download speedachieved during the test was - 398 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-1500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 1500 Kbps
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your profile changed to 500 a couple of days ago. It's since raised to 1500 (as per your BT speedtest results here), so I've reraised our profile to match.
A reconnect should give you closer to 1500 speeds. Smiley
KitFox
Grafter

Thanks Mand, speed tests seem to be coming back between 170 - 200 kB/s again Smiley
Many thanks for clearing up the problem.
I have closed out my support question as well in light of this.
KitFox
Grafter

Just when I thought it was fixed, it goes and does it again.
Once again my speeds have died through no fault of mine.  IS there any way I can get my line profile permanetly fixed at a specific speed so that it doesnt drop?  Or should I just give up broadband altogether and head back to a 56K Modem?  at least that worked 9 times out of 10 how it was supposed to Tongue