cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signed up to unlimited fibre - help needed

Freefall123
Dabbler

Signed up to unlimited fibre - help needed

I signed up to unlimited fibre broadband and got connected last week. The BT engineer turned out to on trial from the army and had only 4 days training instead of 7 weeks so was fairly clueless. Eventually got connected to the internet and thought I would let things settle down with modem training (?). My estimated line speed was 29Mb but I only got 6MB. Switched off modem restarted, now got 24Mb down 4Mb up, better but no where near the estimated speed.
1. Am I on the 80/20 plan - how can I find out. Would that make a difference to my speed.
2. Did switching the modem off and on again mess up the settling in period and I have been capped at 24Mb ? and if the line can support 24 down surely it can support at least 10 if not 20 up?
3. Can my IP profile be changed to allow a faster speed if I have messed things up?
I ran the BTW test and these are the results
Phone exchange:
    HARTBURN
Estimated line speed:
    29Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-01-06 10:27:36
Current line speed:
    37 Mb

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
23.52 Mbps

0 Mbps 24.2 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 23.52 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-24.2 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 24.2 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
4.34 Mbps

0 Mbps 10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.34Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Signed up to unlimited fibre - help needed

24 Mbps is 82.8% of your estimated speed.  Estimated speeds are never very accurate, unfortunately, and you don't seem that far off your estimate.
I don't think restarting the modem messed-up your speed.  However your slow start messed-up the records generated during the training period so you perhaps ought to retrain when things have settled down.
Your IP Profile is set by your modem connection speed.  As such, it cannot be set higher.  Your Plusnet profile (current line speed) appears to be 39 Mbps so should not be limiting your speed either.
CX
Grafter

To answer your first question, no, I don't think you'd benefit from being moved to the 80/20 profile.
I could be wrong though, as I'm not sure how the upload varies with relation to distance. I think it's unlikely to negotiate 20Mbps upstream if the downstream is 24Mbps.
Freefall123
Dabbler

Quote from: ReedRichards
perhaps ought to retrain when things have settled down.

How would I do that
dick:green Quote fixed.
Freefall123
Dabbler

Quote from: CX
To answer your first question, no, I don't think you'd benefit from being moved to the 80/20 profile.
I could be wrong though, as I'm not sure how the upload varies with relation to distance. I think it's unlikely to negotiate 20Mbps upstream if the downstream is 24Mbps.

But surely I should be getting more than 4Mb upload ?
CX
Grafter

Check on a different site (e.g. www.speedtest.net or www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk). I find the BT speedtester can give a lower than expected upload speed for some reason.
grahamt
Rising Star

You might want to try the revamped broadband availability checker:
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
It will give you your current BT speed estimate and also (this is new) tell you which cabinet you're connected to. You can then find that cabinet. and see how far away it is. If it's a long way off (and other people can no doubt tell you what counts as a long way - I think it would need to be well over 500 metres for a speed as low as 24mb/s) you won't expect faster speeds, but if it's fairly close there may be other factors stopping you from going faster.
Graham
Freefall123
Dabbler

Quote from: CX
Check on a different site (e.g. www.speedtest.net or www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk). I find the BT speedtester can give a lower than expected upload speed for some reason.

Unfortunately speedtest.net gives me the same results
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Freefall123
Quote from: ReedRichards
perhaps ought to retrain when things have settled down.

How would I do that

You would need to contact Plusnet.  The reason I say you should retrain is that 70% of the lowest speed seen during your training period determines the speed below which your line has to drop before BT will regard it as a speed fault.   
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Freefall123,
Your upload estimate is 5.8Mb/s, you're close to your estimates on both.
Everything on our side is set correctly to not restrict your speeds, the next thing you can try is to login to your router and click disconnect, then power down your router and modem. Leave them both off for a few minutes, power your modem back on and wait for the DSL light to become stable. Then login to your router and click connect.
Freefall123
Dabbler

Thanks, I'll try that and see how I get on till the end of the 10 day training. How would I request a retrain if  I feel my speeds are still below optimum.
I am just disappointed that moving from ADSL to fibre I haven't had such a fantastic jump up just three times faster rather than ten although I appreciate this isn't plus fault just mine for picking a house so far from a cabinet Undecided
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just drop us a reply on here if you're still seeing the issue after the training period and we'll pick that up for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team