Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should Line Speed be consistent

gwowders
Grafter

Should Line Speed be consistent

Hey again.
I'm still trying to get to the bottom of my issues (still err'ing on the side of my wiring but want to double check everything) and want to pick the collective brains of the forum.
I'm trying various different wiring combinations (trying to see if I can isolate anything in particular) and noticed that my line speed is going up and down by quite a bit.  Is this something that I can expect to happen anyway?
For example:
Scenario 1: faceplate -> filter -> modem
                                                    -> splitter for phone and sky
Line Speed - 1550
Scenario 2: faceplate -> filter -> modem
                                                    -> phone only
Line Speed - 1280
BTW I know that many folk here will think that the speed shifting by a few hundred Kbps isn't much but when my speed is usually c. 1500 it becomes a noticeable difference.
Surely removing something from the mix shouldn't make my speed worse?  This change happened at about 7 ish tonight.
Again, thoughts please!
Cheers!
3 REPLIES 3
gwowders
Grafter

Re: Should Line Speed be consistent

Update: Just rebooted and now have a line speed of 1,504 with the same setup as scenario 2, so it does seem to be variable.
Is this to be expected?
Apprentice
Grafter

It's a good idea to use a separate working microfilter for the SKY box otherwise it will screw up your ADSL signal
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It can depend on what time of the day you re sync. Mornings are normaly faster than evenings so when testing try to do so at about the same time.