Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I switch router off

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Should I switch router off

Hi, I am going away for a few days and I usually just leave the router switched on, but I've received a letter from the electric people that my supply will be off all day whilst they replace some poles that are rotten, Could anyone advise, would I be better switching the router off before I go ?
The last time it was off the electric was off and on at different stages of the day, I have interleaving switched off as well so don't want the line to think I have problems if that makes sence.
Regards
Jono
3 REPLIES 3
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Should I switch router off

If they do more work than planned causing more disconnections, it could be bad for you IP profile.  Personally I would turn it off, better one disconnection than a possible number of them that forces the BT system to cripple your connections speed.
That and routers and or its power supply can fail, as they are pretty much on all the time, so a fire risk.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The other thing is that unplanned (sometimes planned as well but not if they do it properly) power supply cuts can cause power surges which can damage power supplies so I would definitely switch it off and disconnect it from the mains
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Thanks, I will turn it off then.
thanks for the advice
jono