Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I order new router

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Should I order new router

I'm wondering if I should order a new router. I've been using my old TalkTalk router (Huawei HG523a) all the time I've been with Plusnet. Would a new router offer better speeds? And what's the cost? I've just recontracted.

8 REPLIES 8
Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Should I order new router

I should think because the hub one for the fibre packages got good Wi-Fi connection and 5ghz connection too.
Should be able to order just pay p&p
Excellent!
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Manny7860. I'm on ADSL though, not fibre.

azc
Rising Star

For ADSL, if you want it just for the P&P it would be the 2704n

Manny7860
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't it very much of speed increase. If you want speed they doing good offers on fibre packages. It will still woek on adsl though.
Excellent!
azc
Rising Star

Have you compared the speed you are getting against the prediction at https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

harrym1byt
Rising Star

@pkw wrote:

I'm wondering if I should order a new router. I've been using my old TalkTalk router (Huawei HG523a) all the time I've been with Plusnet. Would a new router offer better speeds? And what's the cost? I've just recontracted.

I have several routers which I have (out of curiosity) tried with TT and with Plusnet including the old TT Huawei, they all achieve quite similar connection speeds to my ADSL line. Wifi range does vary a bit between the routers I tried, but not enough variance to be conclusive, it could just be antenna orientation making up the difference.

pkw
Aspiring Pro

I'm getting speeds within the range.  I was hoping more for a better wifi strength/speed with another router,  but I think I'll keep using the one I've got. Thanks for all the replies. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

In the absence of figures or some indication of what you think is wrong, it is simply not possible to advise.

The speed of the ADSL 'uplink' is always going to be the constraining factor.  No matter how good your wifi is, it will never perform better than the speed of the ADSL link.

However if you are using wifi for a lot of internal data transfer (e.g. local back ups - as do I) then better wifi might deliver benefit there.  Wifi can suffer badly if there are a lot of other SSIDs nearby - in such situations a router with "better" wifi performance might deliver an edge.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.