cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I leave pusnet ? (Poll inside)

Zekemoore
Grafter

Re: Should I leave pusnet ? (Poll inside)

from this thread i wanted people to share experiences with myself regarding technical difficulties with plusnet ..
do they resolve problems?
should i leave whilst i have the chance ?
people stop being so easily offended by a "useless thread" with "large pictures"  Crazy
Zekemoore
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Quote from: Zekemoore
apparently my line is "good" for its length ( on paper ) ,,. however actual experience says otherwise

Zekemoore,
You just clearly do not understand the principles.  Your phone line has an attenuation of 70dB - it is about 5km long.  You are lucky to get ADSL broadband at all.  As you have been advised, this is nothing to do with PlusNet nor an "on paper" perspective.  Your BT line is simply far too long to do better.
This poll is futile, it will not aid your decision making as given the disposition of each respondent any of the answers are right...
NO: Your line is what it is, whilst you remain on a BT supplied infrastructure you are never going to see better ADSL speeds from any ISP.
YES: (a) If Virgin Media supply your area you might see better speeds with them over their infrastructure (b) switching ISPs will not improve matters for you, but you will not be making any more posts here about something which no one can fix for you
WAIT: When does FTTC come to your location?  You might see something better, but are never likely to see ultra high speeds
The above image sums up my times with plusnet. slower than 94% of GB . Should i leave plusnet and try Virgin Media / Sky / others . Or wait to see if things get better.

Err no, that sums up YOUR LINE, not PlusNet's service.  Any ISP supplying broadband on YOUR LINE would report similar results.
No amount of bleating here will change the physics of such a long line.  Put your details in here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - if the distance comes out significantly different from 5km or your actual speed then there is a remote possibility that there is an attenuation fault on your line, but I would be very surprised if this were so.

I do understand the principles.
maybe its something to do with my router , don't jump the gun .
calm down a little bit  Grin
"Err no, that sums up YOUR LINE, not PlusNet's service." - yes obviously . MAYBE A DIFFERENT ISP CAN GIVE ME A BETTER CONNECTION BASED ON MY LOCATION
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

here you go.. this is probably your only other option. Don't use your phone line for broadband, an ISP can't move the exchange closer to your house..
http://avonlinebroadband.com/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You clearly don't understand the principles...
As others have said, you line is very long and the signal you receive is almost too low to work.  If you change your router then you may possibly eek out a few extra kbps of throughput but, equally, you may actually lose some.  Are you prepared to move to another phone line ISP and be locked into a contract just to try their router?
You may also eek out a few extra kbps by doing a speedtest to a London server, although this is academic of course!
If VM is available, go for it.  If not, look at Tooway or Avanti satellite broadband.
I've voted 'Yes' btw - Bye!
Zekemoore
Grafter

@pwatson
despite length  of lines , people have problems with the internet . thats the end of it . i tired of people telling me how good my internet is (so they think) due to stats on paper.
on paper bee's shouldn't be able to fly , but they do .
im glad you voted "yes" - Bye !
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Seems you believe you know better than the combined knowledge of PlusNet staff and other forum members.
Put your downstream attenuation figure in here - http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php - and see for yourself what speeds are attainable.
Look at line speed capability here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.992.1 - for a 5km phone line.
Read here on a forum completely independent of PlusNet - http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/4048151-adsl-max-attenuation-too-high.html
Finally given that ALL ISPs (other than Virgin Media) will use the SAME phone line and encounter the same physical characteristics / limitations no other ISP is going to be able to do better - this is NOT a router issue.
PS: You might be sick of hearing the truth - what do you want to hear?  A lie?  "Oh yes lets get BTOR out to sort your line out..." only for you to find there is nothing which can be done and you receiving a no-fault-found call out fee?  yes some people do have issues with their internet service - you DONT through.
Your problem is nothing to do with the internet nor PlusNet - the problem is you chose to live such a long distance from the telephone exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

leader
Grafter

AAISP is the ISP for your line Zekemoore.  Smiley
Zekemoore
Grafter

i dont believe know more than most people on here . I dont.
What i do know , which none of you do , is despite the stats and numbers , currently my internet isn't working right . I AM NOT getting anywhere near the speed projected in the stats and numbers .
i can't even watch a 'Youtube video .
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

what does the BT availability checker say your line should be capable of? https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html I missed putting the link in my post on your other thread, sorry, now corrected: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132076.msg1153359.html#msg1153359
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I AM NOT getting anywhere near the speed projected in the stats and numbers .

Please provide a link to where you are getting the higher predicted speeds.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

A new master socket might help.
picbits
Rising Star

I voted yes - as above, move to AAISP as they have a pretty comprehensive troubleshooting team and maybe if they also say you can't get any more speed you'll believe them.
They may however surprise you and us and get a few extra nibbles out of your line.
*Edit - if FTTC comes to you then you may or may not see a massive increase in speed by moving to it. A local village to us is being upgraded to FTTC and a lot of people will be increasing from 1Mb to 40+Mb
If Virgin Media is available through their native cable system then go for it - it is your obvious solution. If they offer to provide it through your phone line, run a mile as you won't be any better off.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

according to his other post FTTC is available.. so why not just upgrade?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'