cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I leave pusnet ? (Poll inside)

Zekemoore
Grafter

Should I leave pusnet ? (Poll inside)

The above image sums up my times with plusnet. slower than 94% of GB . Should i leave plusnet and try Virgin Media / Sky / others . Or wait to see if things get better.

list of things i cannot do :
1. Browse Youtube
2. Play games
3. Browse the general internet
4. Play games
5. Upload a meme explaining how disappointed I am
6. Play games
7. Search Google for an emotive poem expressing how deeply touched i am that i'm within the top 5% slowest internet users in GB (According to test)
8. upload that poem
9. check an online dictionary regarding how to spell  
floccinaucunihilipilification flokunaucinihilifilifikation floccinaucinihilipilification
28 REPLIES 28
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Should I leave pusnet ? (Poll inside)

Lots more info needed. Is it a line fault, router problem or why?
If it is a line fault, moving to any BT based service will be the same you need to move to one that doesn't use BT for the adsl/fibre.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

There will almost certainly be no point in changing to any other ISP that uses the BT telephone network to deliver your internet.
Unless you have the option of delivery of internet other than by your telephone line then i'd say 'No'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Zekemoore
Grafter

~@Hairy McBiker check my previous posts . apparently my line is "good" for its length ( on paper ) ,,. however actual experience says otherwise

could you both provide ISP who do not use BT ? Also apparently i can only have internet via the phone line "/ 
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

http://www.cswbroadband.org.uk/about-broadband/self-help-guides/alternative-technologies-for-broadba...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Zekemoore
~@Hairy McBiker check my previous posts . apparently my line is "good" for its length ( on paper ) ,,. however actual experience says otherwise

could you both provide ISP who do not use BT ? Also apparently i can only have internet via the phone line "/  

all ISPs that use the telephone network use BT (by which we mean BT Openreach).
if you don't want to use openreach network you'll need to go cable (ie Virgin), or satellite broadband.
ps.... stop posting stupid large images.
Zekemoore
Grafter

if you dont like them , dont click on my threads . thanks
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

~@Hairy McBiker check my previous posts

Sorry I don't have time to read all the post on this forum, you ask for a poll but give no info for us to select.
You need to check your exchange to see if there are any other suppliers, however if you are market 1 then there are unlikely to be.
Virgin would be ok if you could get cable, but you would have the same issues if adsl.
And replies like the last will result in most of us ignoring your threads, bye bye I suggest you LEAVE
Zekemoore
Grafter

by telling someone that if they don't like what i post then dont click on it im in the wrong ?
Dont be so Moody Hairy "Mcbiker" . your tone is very rude .  It's only fair . im not forcing anyone to vote or view my threads . they choose to .
" bye bye I suggest you LEAVE " that's potentially worse than my reply .

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,132076.0.html < previous thread
chenks76
All Star

if you dont like them , dont click on my threads . thanks

i don't know they are there until i go into the thread.
nice attitude you have... just leave.. do us all a favour.
Zekemoore
Grafter

Lol , what are you talking about ..
Plusnet is such a soft community  . Telling someone to not participate in your thread due to a large image is apparently super offensive .
it was just a simple instruction , you dont have to scroll past the image if you don;t want to .
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Useless pointless poll and thread.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If Virgin cable is available to you then you should definitely move to them.
If there are LLU suppliers available you might squeeze a small increase in speed out of them, but nothing like the sort of increase you obviously want.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Zekemoore
Grafter

Thanks Jelv
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

apparently my line is "good" for its length ( on paper ) ,,. however actual experience says otherwise

Zekemoore,
You just clearly do not understand the principles.  Your phone line has an attenuation of 70dB - it is about 5km long.  You are lucky to get ADSL broadband at all.  As you have been advised, this is nothing to do with PlusNet nor an "on paper" perspective.  Your BT line is simply far too long to do better.
This poll is futile, it will not aid your decision making as given the disposition of each respondent any of the answers are right...
NO: Your line is what it is, whilst you remain on a BT supplied infrastructure you are never going to see better ADSL speeds from any ISP.
YES: (a) If Virgin Media supply your area you might see better speeds with them over their infrastructure (b) switching ISPs will not improve matters for you, but you will not be making any more posts here about something which no one can fix for you
WAIT: When does FTTC come to your location?  You might see something better, but are never likely to see ultra high speeds
The above image sums up my times with plusnet. slower than 94% of GB . Should i leave plusnet and try Virgin Media / Sky / others . Or wait to see if things get better.

Err no, that sums up YOUR LINE, not PlusNet's service.  Any ISP supplying broadband on YOUR LINE would report similar results.
No amount of bleating here will change the physics of such a long line.  Put your details in here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - if the distance comes out significantly different from 5km or your actual speed then there is a remote possibility that there is an attenuation fault on your line, but I would be very surprised if this were so.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.