cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change GPO cable to CW1308

Stortgeezer

Should I change GPO cable to CW1308

I have just had fibre broadband installed. I have 2 telephone lines that terminate in a dual line box in my hall. Both had ADSL. I now have 1 line with VDSL and 1 line with ADSL. I have no power near the line box and I have woodblock flooring in my hall so visible cabling and kit must be minimised.
The engineer disconnected one pair of drop lines (orange & white) from the box and connected a 15m extension cable using 2x 2 wire jelly crimp telecom connectors. The cable used has a white sheath and 4 wires in the cable coloured blue, orange, green and brown which I assume is standard GPO cable. It is not a CW1308 cable with a twisted pair of wires coloured blue/white trace & white/blue trace and a second pair orange/white trace & white/orange trace  The engineer connected the orange to blue and white to orange wires to extend to an OpenReach NTE5a master socket and VDSL faceplate at the other end of the extension cable. The cable runs through a hole in the back of the sunken line box, through the hall wall into the garage, up through the airing cupboard, and into the loft where there is power and provision for all the modems, routers, power transformers and servers that I need. Now, the VDSL master socket is in the loft and the line box is just a junction for the VDSL. However, the line box is still the master socket for the ADSL line. Now I intend to use the other extension cable line pair (green & brown) to connect the ADSL feed (green & black) to another NTE5a box and VDSL faceplate.
BT estimated my line speed as 66Mb. My PlusNet Current line speed:75.2 Mb. So it looks promising.
However, before I use the GPO cable should I change it to CW1308? My research has uncovered lots of advice stating this cable is better.
3 REPLIES 3
Stortgeezer

Re: Should I change GPO cable to CW1308

It seems nobody has any advice to give.
TimStephenson
Grafter

Not an expert in the field but if you're getting good VDSL speeds using the current cable, I would expect that it would be absolutely fine for ADSL...
Kevin
Rising Star

If you are still getting speeds in the high sixties, then I wouldn't bother. The original BT overhead cables were 2 pair figure 8 construction, I'm not sure what the newer multi pair black cable is......
Kevin.