Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setup of New Fibre Router

Tensulp
Grafter

Setup of New Fibre Router

Hi
I am about to change my current Plusnet Fibre Router over to a new Asus fibre router as I need various things that the plusnet router cant offer (mainly an extra lan port and gigabit networking). My question is what is the correct proceedure for changing the router over given the BT modem is turned on. Do I leave the modem on or unplug it, or do i unplug the old router first....
If someone with experience can provide the correct steps I would appreciate it. I dont want my fibre speed going down with the connection being terminated unnecessarily.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Re: Setup of New Fibre Router

I've never had a Plusnet router so not 100% sure but you are best to log in to your router first and disconnect the PPP session. then unplug the router - I've never turned off the modem since the day I got it and had no problems the router switching off/rebooting when I'm doing config changes.
Make sure you've got all your connection settings to hand - username, password etc!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Tensulp,
Please find below a guide to setting up the FTTC connection on a non-Plusnet router:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/broadband-connection-settings.shtml
It shouldn't make a massive difference how you go about it. You don't have to unplug/turn off the modem, so just remove the Plusnet router connection to the modem and plug in your new router and get set up. Hope this helps!
Tensulp
Grafter

Thanks for the advice, I'm used to setting up new routers, I seem to melt one every 6 months Smiley just new to dealing with seperate router and modem.
@ Linn K, I was planning to use the method use have suggested so I will try that first.