cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up an internal static IP address

johndeakin

Setting up an internal static IP address

I have a network printer on my home network and the network is set up for DHCP. Each time the printer is started up it is assigned a new IP address and my Linux printer software cannot find it so I have to reconfigure the software interface.
I have trawled through the router interface but cannot find anywhere to change the internal network from DHCP to Static. Can anyone help?
regards,
John
9 REPLIES 9
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Setting up an internal static IP address

What make and model of router do you have?
You need to disable the router's DHCP server and manually assign IPs to the various devices on your network.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Hi John, if you're using one of our Thomson routers then access the router interface and navigate to Home Network. You should see a network map that shows the devices that have recently been connected to your network. The printer should be listed. If you click the hyperlink that represents the printer I think you'll find an option there to request that it's always assigned the same local IP address.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

johndeakin

Bob, thanks for the suggestion. I have got as far as the device page for the printer. On the page it records: "Always use the same IP address: No", however I cannot see how to change the setting. The only options appear to be "Assign a game...", "Assign the DMZ..." and "Assign the public IP address...". None of which appear to do what I want.
The router is a Technicolor TG582n. What am I missing?
regards,
John
knowdice
Rising Star

The other option is to set the printer to a fixed address outside of the normal DHCP range.
David_W
Rising Star

In the router config go to Home Network, then click Devices on the left.  It'll list all the connected devices and the interface (wired or wireless).  Find and click on your printer.  In the top right you'll have a link for Configure, click that and you can then set it to always use the same IP address.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: knowdice
The other option is to set the printer to a fixed address outside of the normal DHCP range.

I'm sure that is a much simpler and straightforward option.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Agreed. All he needs to know now is what the router's dhcp range is on this router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
johndeakin

David W,
Thank you for that. Exactly what I wanted.
regards,
John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: johndeakin
The router is a Technicolor TG582n. What am I missing?

As David's pointed out, you need to click 'Configure' towards the top-right. Not the most intuitive of interfaces I'll admit!
Edit: looks like you've sorted it  Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵