cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up 2 wireless routers

mike360
Grafter

Setting up 2 wireless routers

Hi does any one know how to set up 2 Thomson routers to extend the network. cheers
8 REPLIES 8
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Setting up 2 wireless routers

Are you extending wirelessly (i.e. using the wireless link between the two routers) or extending using a cable and using the second router as a repeater?
mike360
Grafter

Hi steveA, Wirelessly m8
hulls
Grafter

My son set one up using homeplugs to connect the routers, and wireless from there.
I think he just connected the network cables
Not applicable

Hi,
If the two Wireless Routers you are using are Thomson V8 routers, they do not support being used as Wireless Extenders, however, I do believe the V7 does. I would recommend to use Homeplugs for simplicity. (You can get home plugs which can beam off a Wireless Signal, rather than having it all cabled, but they come at a price!)
mike360
Grafter

cheers chrispettitt89 and hulls for getting back. Well the router iv got is a thomson TG582n (Upgraded version from 585v8 I think), And for homeplugs how many do you need.
Ellis
Grafter

You need at least two Homeplugs, one to transmit and one to receive the signal in the mains circuit. You can have many (if you need many points of access), I believe the maximum is 256. As I understand it, Large areas can be covered wirelessly by using a normal Homeplug plus a wireless Homeplug transmitter/receiver.
Full information available here:- http://www.faculty-x.net
mike360
Grafter

Cheers Ellis
Not applicable

No problems at all. Please note that if you have two different electric circuits in your property this could cause problems. It is important that Homeplugs are used on just one electric circuit. I hope this helps you.