Did you mean: 

Setting the 2704n router to be a modem?

FIXED
SirRichieRich
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Setting the 2704n router to be a modem?

Hi all,

Just joined PlusNet and received router.

Is it possible to change the 2704n router to act as modem as I want to use my own router which has DD-WRT on it?

Can this be done?Can this be done?

Ive disabled the DHCP on the 2704n via expert_user.html but the DD-WRT router wasn't picking it up on the WAN port.

Edit: Fix below:

I got it to work by following the instructions on this thread:

Here are my steps for getting the 2704n router to act as modem bridge:

• Backup your 2704n settings via expert_user.html
  • Download from this russian site that says "Sagemcom fast 2804 v7 ADSL-bridge(0/33)"
  • Edit the backupsettings.conf and search for pvc. Change the 0/33 to 0/38
  • Upload the settings to 2704n router
  • It will now be 192.168.1.1 and password is admin to access the admin. I turn off the wifi as not needed.
  • Plug an ethernet from the 2704n to your own routers WAN socket
  • Open the admin to your own router
  • Change WAN type to PPPoE and set your username (would be your name you signed up with and @plusdsl.net after it, eg: sirrichierich@plusdsl.net) and password.

That should do it! Hope that helps someone.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Setting the 2704n router to be a modem?

You can't configure the 2704 as just a modem but you could use it as you seem to be, as just a single port router. You will have a 'double NAT' situation but that shouldn't be a problem unless you use voip or need external access to your system from the internet.

Your problem is that you've disabled DHCP on it. Your WAN port on the WNDR is set to DHCP and therefore the 2704 needs DHCP enabled to supply the WNDR with an IP address. Alternatively you could allocate a fixed IP address to the WAN on the WNDR. You need to allocate one in the same subnet as the 2704n LAN i.e 192.168.1.x  but preferably outside of the default DHCP range of the 2704 ( incase you ever reenable DHCP on it! ).

You probably do need to disable the wifi on the 2704 though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SirRichieRich
Dabbler

I will need to be able to remote to my pcs etc, can I just set the DMZ on the 2704n to it's own ip? Or just turn off firewall?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You MIGHT get away with setting the DMZ on the 2704 to the IP you (or DHCP) allocates to the WNDR WAN. You will also need to port forward on the WNDR. The problem is that the 2704 is not very good at DMZ/port forwarding according to various posts on this forum. TBH if you really want to use the WNDR then I'd be inclined to get an ADSL modem, or a router that can be switched to modem-only (bridge) mode. Then you set the WNDR WAN for PPPoE and it will get your public IP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SirRichieRich
Dabbler

I might have a look around for a router that can be bridged then.

Although, I might try this first which changes the 2704n router into bridge mode (depending on firmware): https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Unlocking-the-potential-of-Sagemcom-27...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I use one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200290250|agid:12504951290|ti... in bridge mode in front of my Draytek 2830 . It's both ADSL & VDSL compatible so will continue to work if you go to FTTC in the future. I got it primarily for use when I moved to FTTC although I did have it working on ADSL for a short period.

SirRichieRich
Dabbler

Fix

Here are my steps for getting the 2704n router to act as modem bridge:

• Backup your 2704n settings via expert_user.html
  • Download from this russian site the backupsettings.conf that says "Sagemcom fast 2804 v7 ADSL-bridge(0/33)"
  • Edit the backupsettings.conf and search for pvc. Change the 0/33 to 0/38
  • Upload the settings to 2704n router
  • It will now be 192.168.1.1 and password is admin to access the admin. I turn off the wifi as not needed.
  • Plug an ethernet from the 2704n to your own routers WAN socket
  • Open the admin to your own router
  • Change WAN type to PPPoE and set your username (would be your name you signed up with and @plusdsl.net after it, eg: sirrichierich@plusdsl.net) and password.

That should do it! Hope that helps someone.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Several posts were picked up by the spam filter.

These have now been released and the duplicates removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

SirRichieRich
Dabbler

Sorry, my fault. I didn't realise when I chose the "fixed post" it awaits moderation and was wondering why everytime I re-posted it disappeared!

Mav
Fixes: 514

@SirRichieRich

It had nothing to do with using the "This fixed my problem" button. It could have possibly been the link supplied that triggered the spam filter. Hopefully, the filter has learnt and your posts should not be filtered again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Well done, I think you're the first one to be brave enough to try that.