cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service crippled!

nebula
Dabbler

Service crippled!

I've been having problems with the stability of my connection for 8 months. After assistance from support (fault check ticket: 54661983) my service has been crippled even further!
After interleaving was applied to my connection this morning I've gone from a 200 kB/ps upstream to the bog standard 45 kB/ps and can no longer connect via annex M! My SNR has been stuck on 15 bB for a couple of months too. Comparing speeds from six months ago to now you'll see my service has deteriorated considerably!
Can I ever expect anything better than this? I'd switch to fibre but the 18 month contract is unappealing.
—October 2011

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
Running Mode            : ADSL2+(G.992.5)       State                : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate          : 11224615 bps   US Actual Rate       :  1248983 bps
DS Attainable Rate      : 13984000 bps   US Attainable Rate   :  1248000 bps
DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :  Interleave
DS Interleave Depth     :       96       US Interleave Depth  :        1
NE Current Attenuation  :       29 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :        9  dB
DS actual PSD           :    20. 4 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 6   dB
ADSL Firmware Version   : 2471201_A
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation :       14 dB    Far SNR Margin       :        6  dB
CO ITU Version[0]       : 00004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >

—April 2012

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
Running Mode            : ADSL2+(G.992.5)       State                : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate          :  7844571 bps   US Actual Rate       :   440000 bps
DS Attainable Rate      :  7720000 bps   US Attainable Rate   :   888000 bps
DS Path Mode            :  Interleave    US Path Mode         :  Interleave
DS Interleave Depth     :       96       US Interleave Depth  :        8
NE Current Attenuation  :       33 dB    Cur SNR Margin       :       15  dB
DS actual PSD           :    20. 4 dB    US actual PSD        :    11. 8   dB
ADSL Firmware Version   : 232201_A
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation :       15 dB    Far SNR Margin       :       28  dB
CO ITU Version[0]       : 00004946       CO ITU Version[1]    : 0000544e
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < IFTN >
16 REPLIES 16
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Service crippled!

Do you have problems with the connection dropping or is it just a performance problem?
I assume the Upstream speeds you are talking about are from a speedtest, because your actual upstream sync speed is the standard 440kbps whereas before it was around 1.2Mbps, if upload speed is important to you, you don't want that!
With the down stream I notice the attenuation has gone to 33dB and before it was 29dB, and with this target margin you appear to have now your current speed is about half what the line ought to be capable of.
The change in attenuation suggests there may be a problem with the line, but there is a few other things to check on first.
Have you changed your installation in anyway. Added any extensions, plugged anything extra in (all via filters - including sky boxes, faxes etc) changed any filters?
If the answer there is no, then you need to do a few checks by unplugging anything except the modem/router and then post another set of line stats. After that, do a filter swap and post some more stats.
After that, depending on results and whether you have any fixed extension wiring, you may need to test at the Test socket behind the Master Front plate.
I'd advise that when it gets to swapping the filter for the modem/router or the modem/router that you power it down and wait a couple of minutes before unplugging from the line.
Edit: Forgot to say can your hear any crackling noise on the line when using the phone?
2nd Edit: missed the kB as opposed to kb as per Jim's post, but doesn't affect what I've said, and Jim is right by the looks of it.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Expanding a bit on upstream speed
You state that you were on Annex M - costing an extra £10 plus VAT per month  and I believe is only available on Business Products - giving 200kB/sec upstream (equivalent to an upstream sync of about 1800kbps)
This isn't reflected in the stats from October 2011.
Can I suggest a possibility
You were moved from ADSL2+ with Annex M onto ADSL2+ upstream uncapped which reflects the upstream reported in October. Since then the upstream has changed from ADSL2+ uncapped (which will give the reported speeds) to ADSL2+ capped which explains the drop.
If you can confirm that you are on a Business Product I will move this thread into the Business Forum
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Are the above from different routers - the firmware version on the more recent figures is actually lower than the one from last year.
Huh
Anotherone
Champion

Well spotted that man, I should have gone to Specsavers. Hopefully the OP has more than one modem/router and we'll see lots of sets of stats  Wink in a methodical order of course.
nebula
Dabbler

Thankyou for your replies...
@Anotherone
The main problem is dropped connections, performance is acceptable apart from the current upstream rate.
The rates are from a speed test. The attenuation while peaking at 28dB has fallen permanently to 33dB, around the same time my target SNR switched from 6dB to 15dB.
Support have indicated nothing wrong with the line

Copper Line Check Test Outcome:
Test Outcome: Pass
Proposed Repair Actions: Not Applicable
Additional Text: Line Test OK.Line loss within appropriate limits.
About Product: This is an Annex M service

Copper Line Check Test Results :
Description: Line Test OK.Line loss within appropriate limits.
Diagnosis Code: DS10
MFL: OK

Copper Line Check Test Outcome Summary:
Test Outcome: Pass
Description : Copper Line Test Successful

The installation has been isolated, stripped to a minimum and setup in different configurations and locations. With only the router and no phone and using alternate filters when the phone is connected.
The line can be rather noisy at times, hissing with occasional crackles.
@Oldjim
I'm unaware that Annex M is an extra cost. I presume it's part of my product (Plusnet Unlimited) as when I selected this mode, upstream increased from 120kB/ps to 200kB/ps with a 200 kB/ps hit in the downstream rate. This is of course is no more, my router refuses to connect when I select Annex M mode now!
@Jaggies & @Anotherone
Draytek recommends 232201_A for "general purpose usage on UK lines", and 2471201_A for "ADSL2+ Annex M lines".
As I was having problems I've tried both variants on the same hardware but the original problem of the connection dropping still exist.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The line can be rather noisy at times, hissing with occasional crackles

Can you try the telephone without the router connected?
If you still get noise (with a corded phone to rule out DECT interference) then you definitely have a telphone line (voice) fault and would be best reported as such
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

At a guess you were put on Annex M by accident and it has subsequently been removed
The upstream rate has been moved from uncapped to capped. It is most unusual for this to happen unless the upstream was seen as contributing to the dropped connections.
The fact that you are occasionally hearing crackling is a sign that all is not well with your connection and it may be - speculation only here - that the disconnections tend to happen when the phone rings. I had this and it created problems even with a 448kbps upstream - the noise margin could drop from 24dB to 6dB and the upstream speed drop to as low as 196kbps on the resync
Anotherone
Champion

OK, your noisy line will be the problem, Cr*p phoneline = Cr*p broadband. It's a case of proving it's not your kit first.
You need to work through this methodically, do you have fixed extension wirng and sockets and if so have you carried out testing at the Test socket (isolates internal wiring) and tried more than one filter and more than one modem/router?
Can you hear the noise on the line with a known good corded phone (ie. not cordless) with just the phone in the test socket (no filter)? You can try the quiet line test on 17070.
nebula
Dabbler

@ Oldjim
"… Annex M by accident …" oh dear :S  what am I paying these people for!
Upstream is most definitely capped, rather annoying as support said I'd get a reply to this issue in 20 mins… 17 hours ago!
Indeed the connection has dropped when the phone rings, I disconnected the land line for a few months due to this.
@Anotherone
Have done all the variations of setup, XF-1e filter, isolation, rewired internal phones lines and new equipment.
Quiet line test same with and without router connected.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You weren't paying for Annex M that is for sure
If the phone ringing caused the broadband to drop this may well have been why the upload was capped.
Did it drop even with the phone unplugged - mine did
x47c
Grafter

I concur with the other replies
The original uncapped upstream was fast path as well
when it was capped it was changed to interleave.
The frequencies of the upstream band are next to the voice band - albeit with a suitably large gap between them to prevent them interfering in normal circumstances.
I'd say some form of spillover from the crackle on the voice frequencies has impacted the upstream frequncency bands and caused the exchange DSLAM to cap and interleave the upstream due to the interference now present - and it will do this automatically without be "asked".
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@nebula
rather annoying as support said I'd get a reply to this issue in 20 mins… 17 hours ago!

Apologies, you shouldn't have been told that really. However I can see that should have been sorted as per our reply at 12:19 yesterday, I can see you replied to say that your stats are unchanged. I won't make a promise of an exact time but the faults team will be responding again ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nebula
Dabbler

Still suffering crippled upload speeds.
The open ticket is just sitting there, it's been days since I've had any response.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi nebula,
I see you've had a reply from our faults team earlier.
Jojo Smiley