cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Errors and Packet Loss

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Server Errors and Packet Loss

I'm sure that the operative in question will shortly be introduced to Mand's Lecturing Tool
Grin Grin
B.
batdesign
Dabbler

ouch...
I refer to both the bat and the unfortunate paint scheme on the walls behind it.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

You'll notice that said scheme is pretty abundant around the office!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

batdesign
Dabbler

Now I just feel guilty for being snippy, I might be a little short and snappy if I walked into that every day. No offence to any who like it, but it does not exactly look relaxing.
James
Grafter

I barely even notice the colour scheme to be honest!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: batdesign
No offence to any who like it, but it does not exactly look relaxing.

TBH I don't really notice it, I'm sat directly opposite a window so not got much of the colour scheme within my eyeline.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
batdesign
Dabbler

Well then I no longer feel guilty. If the colour scheme is not to blame, then the operative in question must have been having a bad day, or could just be a pompous jerk. Who knows, we all have bad days. And there are many people who have described me in less than flattering terms. In any case, his disappointing service has been over-ridden by the people (including the Plusnet people) who have helped me out on this forum and I am walking away from this experience very impressed with Plusnet's overall customer service. 
Thanks again.
zubel
Community Veteran

I'm fairly confident that, all joking aside, the chap or chappess in question will be trained following his interaction with you.
Training is very high on Plusnet's agenda, so they can continue to promote their customer service as an excellent selling point.
I'm glad that you're walking away with a good overall impression of the guys and gals at PN though Smiley
B.
batdesign
Dabbler

Just getting the same problem again.
Switched to manual DNS servers and everything works.
Different random sites not loading this time, but otherwise the same problem.
Off to re-open the ticket and hope they pay attention this time ;~)
James
Grafter

Hey there,
Do you still get the problem after changing the DNS server that you are using like you tried last time?
batdesign
Dabbler

Hello,
If I manually change the servers to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50 then the sites pull up fine. Same problem as yesterday. Which is weird because it was working fine (with automatically resolving) this morning. But started messing up again about two hours ago.
notheruser
Grafter

Don't know ifit helps, but using either "nslookup batdesign.net 212.159.6.10" or "nslookup batdesign.net 212.159.6.9" works for me. These are the name servers in my router too. Also www.batdesign.net brings up a website okay. What sites don't work for you?
batdesign
Dabbler

batdesign.net was not working, also edentours.co.uk, magnet-healing.co.uk, armitageandco.co.uk (along with about 20 others). We have manually set our DNS servers to the two listed, so everything works for us now. I thought that I might reset them tomorrow morning to automatically resolve and see if it is fixed.
I do not know if this helps, but the following two sites have always loaded fine:
cavs.org.uk
webhostwales.com
They are on the same server as the others. Strange.
notheruser
Grafter

Catherine - this may not be PlusNet's problem! I ran DNS tests against all of the domains you listed, and all of them have some minor problems.
edentours.co.uk - the parent nameservers say that the nameservers for your domain should be ns1.webhostwales.com and ns2.webhostwales.com, but either they are not responding, or neither of these has an A record for edentours.co.uk
(webhostwales has name server problems too)
www.magnet-healing.co.uk - when looking this up, the first referral is to ns2.nic.uk - then there is a referral to ns2.webhostwales.com - but it desn't seem to be able to give an authoritative answer.
www.armitageandco.co.uk - same as above
Apart from cavs.org.uk, the one thing they have in common is ns1.webhostwales.com and ns2.webhostwales.com
(Strangely, webhostwales, in spite of the name, appears to be hosted in the USA!)
Have you bought hosting for all these sites with web host wales? Have you asked them to test the dns entries for your sites? (Maybe that's not their responsibility, since the domains are all registered to different people. Presumably though someone has told the domain owners to point to those two nameservers)
The records for webhostwales are with websitewelcome.com - perhaps they have dns problems?
batdesign
Dabbler

notheruser,
Hello. Sorry it took so long to respond (and thank you for looking into this). I have reset our workstations to resolve automatically and everything appears to be working now.
I have contacted our hosting provider and sent them all of the information in this forum. They think that Plusnet reloading the software should have fixed it and that the glitch yesterday was just that, a minor bump as the systems were resetting. They are going to look into it further. We will see what they come up with.
Could this have just been a glitch or do you think it is a larger problem just waiting to rear its ugly head again?