Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serious problem with Metronet

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Serious problem with Metronet

I hope someone from Plusnet will read this posting and offer some assistance..
I understand that Plusnet have acquired Metronet.
A very good friend of mine has been with Metronet for some years but she has not had any internet connection of any sort for three weeks now.  She is absolutely fed up to the back teeth with this because she is getting no service from Customer Support.  She says it is Metronet Customer Support but I imagine there is only one help desk since the acquisition (if indeed Metronet has been acquired).  She is fed up with calling the help desk and hanging on for hours waiting for someone to answer, and then they just go through the standard routine, tell her all is working and then nothing more happens.  But she has not had any connection for three weeks, which is unacceptable.
She has now decided to change supplier as a result because she can take no more of it, but I have persuaded her to give it one more final chance, while I make this posting for her, and make a public plea for assistance.  I have been with Plusnet since the old dial-up days and would not change for all the tea in China, and this experience does not sound like Plusnet at all.  So I am assuming that it has more to do with Metronet Customer Support, but I would have thought there is only one help desk since the acquisition.
During the last three weeks, BT has been and replaced the incoming BT line, but that has made no difference.  The Metronet agent keeps saying that everything is now working, which it is not.  The router is a six year old Netgear.  The power light is green; the DSL light is on; the WiFi light is on; the ethernet light is flashing; but the internet light is red.  So that suggests to me that it is not the fault of the house wiring but must be the ISP service.  Otherwise, the internet light would not be red.  I suppose that the problem could be the oldish Netgear router, and perhaps Metronet should supply a new router.
If someone could help in any way, I would be grateful.  I am sure that Plusnet does not want to lose a customer, but after three weeks of no service and no real customer support, then I cannot blame my friend for wanting to change suppliers - and possibly jump out of the frying pan into the fire, if it is a service issue.
13 REPLIES 13
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Serious problem with Metronet

Quote from: shermans
I understand that Plusnet have acquired Metronet.

In 2005 I believe.
Hopefully a staff member can take a look.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
It may well be us (https://www.metronet.co.uk), but there is a Metronet UK out  there (http://www.metronet-uk.com/) which isn't us.
If you have any references so that we can try to find the account, such as a ticket number, it would be appreciated so that we can check if it is us.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
shermans
Pro

Thanks Tony
I have sent you a p.m. with some details.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It most certainly sounds like us - but I've not found anything with the details supplied.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
shermans
Pro

I have sent you names, address and telephone number by P.M.  Hope that helps.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That's excellent - I've got the details. There isn't much I can share here though. However, I am concerned over a couple of issues which I'm taking a look into.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
shermans
Pro

Thanks [color=purple]Tony[/color].
Obviously, I understand that due to confidentiality you cannot discuss the problem with me.  However, if you could please just keep me informed of progress, I can do my best to keep your customers' spirits up.  As I have said, I really do not want Plusnet to lose a customer if it can be avoided, and I will do my best to help with the situation in any way I can.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I can  see what needs to be done, and in theory the problem (if I understand it correctly) can be sorted in 2 seconds. Unfortunately, getting the ability to make the changes is proving rather difficult. I also want to look at increasing their speeds once this is sorted.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Can you ask them to try again please.
I'm hoping the problem has been sorted.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
shermans
Pro

Hi Tony
Hurrah !  Yes, it seems that the problem has been sorted out at last. Thank you so much.
The internet light is flashing green, and my friends have been able to get onto the internet with their desktop, but are still having difficulties with the i-Pad.  The latter is almost certainly their problem and not yours, but they are not tech savvy at all, and I suspect that they need to fiddle with the i-Pad WiFi settings which are probably defaulting to a friend's house where they have been going to access their emails for three weeks !  I cannot help them with that over the phone, because I am only conversant with Windows and Android, but if necessary I will go round myself to try to resolve that part of the equation.  But the main thing is that the Windows desktop works, so the internet problem itself must be solved.
We live in a very rural area, in my case about 1 mile from the exchange, and in their case about 2.5 miles.  They live in the opposite direction from me, but I get at least 4 Mbps whereas they gets less than 1 Mb.  The slowness of their connection is a big headache for them, and I do hope there is something you can do to improve it.
Many thanks indeed for your really prompt help; it is most appreciated by all concerned.  My friends are full of praise for what Plusnet have done since I raised the issue with you and are blaming Metronet instead !  I am sure you all have broad shoulders !
Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Speeds should change tomorrow. The customer will go through the training period, but I don't see any major issues.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
shermans
Pro

Tony
That's good news and I have explained it may take a while before they see a speed improvement
In the meantime, all is working well again, including the i-Pad - it eventually came to life of its own accord !
Now, they have a question.  Is there any difference between Metronet and Plusnet as far as the customer is concerned ?  In other words, can they join this forum ?  Can they change to Plusnet ?  Can they take advantage of the Plusnet subscription offers ?  For instance, they would like an all-inclusive package which includes line rental, telephone and internet.  At present they pay BT for the line rental and Metronet for the ADSL.
They are only light users and so want a package which reflects that.  I have no idea what they are on at present.
I said I would ask and let them know what the answer is.
Thanks again for your help.  Most impressive.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If they wanted to move to Plusnet this is entirely possible, they'd need to contact the customer options team to arrange the new contract/deal and they would do the work to move the details between the accounts.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.