cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separation of Networks in Thompson Router?

NightFox

Separation of Networks in Thompson Router?

I've just set up my PN broadband with the supplied Thompson TG585 v8 router.  Internet connectivity is fine, but I'm having some issues with devices failing to communicate between the wired side of my LAN and the WiFi side.
To be more specific, wired to the router I've got an Airplay-enabled hifi and a Bluray player that can be controlled via an iPhone app.  With the Airtunes hifi, it's very hit and miss as to whether it's even detected by my iPhone or laptop when they're connected wirelessly.  Even if they do detect it, it tends to just 'vanish' after a coupe of minutes, or simply fails to connect 90% of the time.  However, if I connect my laptop to the router with a wired connection instead of wirelessly, it works perfectly.  As regards the bluray player, the iPhone app simply doesn't ever find it.
I've tried swapping out the Thompson for my trusty old Linksys WAG354G, and under that there's no issue at all, Airplay works perfectly between wired and wireless devices, and my bluray remote app finds my bluray player straight away.  Of course I could now just stick to using my Linksys, but at 7 years old I'd honestly prefer to use the Thompson for numerous reasons.
So is there some sort of Firewall between the wired and wireless network sides in the Thompson router?  If so, can I disable it to allow unrestricted communication between the two sides of my network (without compromising any WAN firewall)?
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Separation of Networks in Thompson Router?

There shouldn't be any restrictions on communications between wired and wireless connected devices on the TG585, IP addresses on both are from the same subnet.
At one time I had wireless on my laptop managed using an Intel application, but after an update that was prone to acquiring new DHCP assigned IP addresses. Changing to the Windows Zero manager fixed that problem, though other Windows computers on wired connections never had problems communicating with the laptop (and vice versa).
David
NightFox

Hmmm, there goes that theory then.  Any other suggestions?  As I say, it would appear to be something to do with the router rather than anything else as it works fine with my Linksys.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Does the Home Network -> Devices display show all connected devices with their IPs?
David
NightFox

Everything shows as connected, the devices all have IP addresses (DCHP via the Thompson), and all of the devices are able to connect to the Internet without a problem.  The only problem seems to be between the wired and wireless sides of my network.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

However, if I connect my laptop to the router with a wired connection instead of wirelessly, it works perfectly.

Have you got a software firewall on the laptop which is marking the wireless network as 'untrusted' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NightFox

Nope, and AFAIK it's not down to the laptop anyway -  if I try using Airplay between my iPhone (WiFi) and hifi (wired) I get the same problems, it doesn't see the hifi with the Thompson but works fine with the Linksys.
Melltt
Dabbler

Im having the same problem.  I had raised a new topic before I saw this.  My topic is tg585 wireless not seeing wired.  The two networks seem isolated.  The only temporary fix that I have found is to change frequencies.  But this reverts back after a day or so.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried giving all the devices fixed IPs rather than letting the router's DHCP dish them out?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Melltt
Dabbler

No I haven't.  Why should this help?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Theoretically it shouldn't, but there's a lot of oddities with that router so no harm in trying!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
NightFox

Just thought I'd give my own update as the OP - in the end I tried everything I could think of to get this working (including static IPs) without any luck, so ended up just using my old Linksys router instead.
Melltt
Dabbler

The main reason I want to  do this is that I want to stream movies to a recently purchased Samsung Blu Ray PVR  situated in the lounge which has built in wi fi, from my main PC which is wired to the router upstairs in the bedroom study.  I was hoping there would be a simple fix where somebody had solved the problem.  I don't want to mess with configuration too much as everything connects very reliabily and solidly to the internet OK at 10 Mbits, so I work on the principle that if its working don't fix it.  Have done a lot of searching on the problem but there doesn't seem to be a straightforward fix anywhere.  Networking is a nightware and wastes many hours in the pursuit of the impossible.
So I have ordered a two line powered ethernet interfaces from 7dayshop to give a new wired interface at the router the same as the PC, connecting the lounge to the bedroom.  £36 is not too much to sacrifice in the hope this will work.  Should arrive at the end of the week so I will let you know if it works.  I also plan to get some NAS for ethernet connection to the router so that should all network OK if all is on the wired segment
NightFox

Have you tried temporarily running a wired connection to your BR player to make sure that it is actually streaming OK?  Would be a shame to spend £36 and find it wasn't the router after all!
Melltt
Dabbler

Too late.  Order already placed.  We shall see.