Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sendblaster ~ Plusnet ~ Spamhaus blocking messages

pnuser
Grafter

Sendblaster ~ Plusnet ~ Spamhaus blocking messages

Hi
I would love some help please.
I am secretary of a small network of people who communicate with email. (oly 40 people)
I understood that BCC was frowned on these days and blocked by some ISP's so I have signed up with a mail sender software called Send Blaster
This worked reasonably for a couple of messages
BUT
If I try to send messages out today I get
Service unavailable; Client host [87.114.xx.xxx blocked using zen.spamhaus.org; http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=87.114.13.225
and most of the messages are rejected by their relevant hosts, mostly quoting spamhaus or dynamic IP's as the problem
How do I solve this problem please?
Emailing everyone individually is a real pain.
7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Sendblaster ~ Plusnet ~ Spamhaus blocking messages

did you look it up?
Ref: PBL172353
87.114.0.0/15 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of The Spamhaus Project for this IP range:
This IP range has been identified by Spamhaus as not meeting our policy for IPs which should deliver 'direct-to-mx' mail to PBL users.
Important: If you are using any normal email software such as Outlook, Entourage, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, and you are being blocked by this Spamhaus PBL listing when you try to send email, the reason is simply that you need to turn on "SMTP Authentication" in your email software settings (Tools : Accounts : Properties : Outgoing Mail Server : check "My server requires authentication").
If you do not know how to do this, ask your Internet Service Provider for help with "SMTP Authentication".
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pnuser,
I'm assuming that you're getting that error message using the send blaster smtp server. If that's the case you'll have to contact them to ask about being removed from the blacklist.
While that's being sorted out though we don't have any issues with BCCing people into mails and for 40 people using the plusnet mail servers shouldn't be a problem. If you're using a plusnet connection you just need to set the outgoing mail server as relay.plus.net and things should work fine.
Hope that helps, please let us know if not,
Colin1
Grafter

Would PlusNet's "My Circular" do the job?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The IP address in the error indicates that SendBlaster is sending the emails direct from your PC to the recipients email server - the IP address is in the pool of dynamic IP addresses used by Plusnet for it's end users.
Think about this for a second. When someone's PC gets compromised it is often to be part of a botnet to be used for spewing out spam. Using SendBlaster is making your PC look exactly like a compromised PC and I would suggest that the ISP's who let your emails in could be criticised for lax filtering policies!
Is there an option in SendBlaster to route the outgoing emails via relay.plus.net?
In any case there is no problem with you BCCing 40 people.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

But there is no difference between using sendblaster or someone like me running their own email server. Even though I have a PN static IP address it's still classed as a Dynamic.
The first thing to know is: THE PBL IS NOT A BLACKLIST. You are not listed for spamming or for anything you have done. The PBL is simply a list of all of the world's dynamic IP space, i.e: IP ranges normally assigned to dialup and broadband ISP customers (DSL, DHCP, PPP, cable, dialup). It is perfectly normal for dynamic IP addresses to be listed on the PBL. In fact all dynamic IP addresses in the world should be on the PBL. Even static IPs which should not send mail may be listed in the PBL.

but my IP in the 212.159.xxx.xxx range is not listed in Spamhaus database, so may be if the OP change/request a PN static IP this will resolve the problem.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Even if you are running your own SMTP server the recommendation is to route all outgoing emails via relay.plus.net.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
itsme
Grafter

Believe that I have less problems sending emails using my server than PN have with their servers as from time to time their appear on spam lists.  Wink