cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seemingly excessive useage of 4.3gb inside 4 hours!

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Seemingly excessive useage of 4.3gb inside 4 hours!

Quote from: jelv
NetWorX does exactly what you would want it to do. It measures traffic between the PC and the internet and when you have the synchronise option on it shares that data with all other instances on your LAN. Obviously they have to both be on at the same time for that to happen, but if one is off it catches up the next time they are both on. From any PC you can view the total or individual usage.
That's all relating to a standard home LAN using a router. I'm not sure about using ICS since all the internet traffic goes through the one PC and it's modem anyway so I think you'd just monitor that PC.
Rincewind
Dabbler

Thanks Oldjim
Downloaded it and running now  Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have it running on mine, Wife on one laptop. me on another, you have to set up file sharing, then it has separate, and combined, hours, Gb up and down - very good.  Show peak and offpeak in different colours
But I have a Samknow/ofcom router linked via ethernet that I know uses lots of Gb but it doesnt show at the moment, it is on the Thompson Router list and visible
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Rincewind
Now waiting for my usage to be reset  Roll_eyes
This was suppose to have been done around 5pm yesterday, but didn't happen.
PN to try it again today.
Hope it works as I'm now at 9.71gb

Hmmm, I was under the impression that this couldn't be done for metered, PAYG-based accounts? That might explain why it hasn't worked. There is a workaround I think but that involves changing your account to a non-metered variant and then back to Value. I'm loathe to do this as it has the potential to cause you all sorts of problems. I'll ask around for clarification about getting things reset for you but if you go over, you're not going to get charged any more that what you usually would anyway as I've already discounted August's bill by £5.00.
For future monitoring, does anyone know of a net monitor that will work with Win 7?

+1 for Networx.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Rincewind
Dabbler

Hi Bob
Ok thanks for that info.
It's good that I'll get the extra 5gb, but I also noticed there was a hit of 1.1gb on the Friday, before the 4.3gb event happened.
My usage figures have been erratic for quite some time now, so it begs the question, how much bandwidth I've been unintentionally capped, over any given month?
I'm monitoring now with Networx to try and answer that question, if the trend continues.
Hopefully the deletion of the second static ip has cured it.
Regards.
Den.
Rincewind
Dabbler

Thanks for the advice, I've load Networx on my laptop as well and have selected the programs to synchronize Smiley
Quote from: pierre_pierre
I have it running on mine, Wife on one laptop. me on another, you have to set up file sharing, then it has separate, and combined, hours, Gb up and down - very good.  Show peak and offpeak in different colours
But I have a Samknow/ofcom router linked via ethernet that I know uses lots of Gb but it doesnt show at the moment, it is on the Thompson Router list and visible
puddy
Grafter

I think it’s only fair for Plusnet to go back 12 months to check your account and for a larger refund to be made were  they overcharged you!
Puddy
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Rincewind, I've checked back over the last 12 months or so and can see you were charged £2 in January and £5 in May for exceeding your included bandwidth allowance. As a goodwill gesture I've refunded £7 to your account, which you should find is credited at some point during the next 3-5 working days.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Rincewind
Dabbler

Hi Bob
Well thank you very much, I didn't expect this and tbh is not the money that bothered me. (I thought there were more charges, so much for memory! lol)
Having paid £22.99 on premier for years the £5.99 value broadband was remarkable.
I just have an issue with things being incorrect.
However, I do appreciate the effort, which I have found to be consistent with Plusnet over the years.
There was the one time I told PN about the death of one of referrals, which resulted in me being cut off instead, but that's another story! lol
Regards.
Den.
PS puddy: thanks for the comment Smiley
Rincewind
Dabbler

Well, it all seems to ok now Smiley
Networx and VMU are within about 5% of each other.
I'll keep monitoring, but thanks to everyone who helped, was much appreciated.
Bob, great customer service mate, thank you.
Regards.
Den.
markco

Hi
I am having what appears to be a similar issue.
I noticed excessive usage whilst on holiday.  (2.55GB on one day) with router left on. which caused me to go over my allowance.
I have since left the router off for a few days and still getting heavy usage.
Support are suggesting nothing other than changing my password at the moment as someone else maybe using my account details (on another line)
It seems crazy to me that this is even possible.  Surely there should be a way of tying the broadband service to the physical line.
zubel
Community Veteran

AIUI, the only 'binding' of a physical line is to a physical ISP, not an account within that ISP (that's a BT design "feature")
Have you given an old router of yours to a friend/colleague?  It certainly seems like someone is using your username/password to access the internet (albeit on a secondary physical line).  Changing your password will stop them being able to reconnect, but if they are currently connected they will be able to continue until their PPP session is disconnected, (which could potentially be many days or weeks, if they have a well performing line)
B.
markco

No I haven't given an old router away and my router is WPA protected.
I'm not really sure how another plusnet user could have my login details.
Amyway, support have just done a session kill so that anyone else connected will be kicked off.
We'll see how it goes, but my gut feeling is that the problem will still be there.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have used my account on other lines when away from home, and have no usage logged, so I would think that the only thing that came up your usage must be on your line - hope that points in the correct direction
markco

Defo not on my line.  I turned router off when away last weekend. Usage still clocked.