cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Re: Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

Quote from: Loombucket
Several points to mention......
1>  Stay away from Norton - a long way away.  It's horribly bloated, far too intrusive, dreadfully resource-hungry, it slows the system down alarmingly and for all that it isn't that good at what it does.  The same could be said of Macafee.

I've never had any problems with Norton, albeit, it depends on what package you are using. I am using Norton Internet Security 2008, running on Windows Vista - people tend to forget that newer applications are more memory hungry, and even a machine that runs perfectly well on 512Mb may experience slowdowns with any AV or Spyware prevention.
However, McAfee I feel is completely and totally bloated out of control, and to be avoided at all costs - they recently stung me with their "always on protection" and renewed the licence on  product that I have not used for 18 months from my credit card details that had expired, but that's another subject entirely.
I also use Kaspersky as well, and I find that to be as effective as Norton, so it's horses for courses, and very much dependent on the OS and amount of available memory you have in your machine.
gswindale
Grafter

Re: Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

I'm using AVG 8, and it seems a lot better than 7.5 - it silently autoupdates whilst allowing me to continue working as soon as I boot up, unlike the previous version which displayed all the details and then waited for me to click (or 30seconds) to clear it off the screen before I could get on with anything.
@Dogscoff.  If I were to install ubuntu, I'd have no end of problems running my software that I use everyday.  It is a good system for simply browsing the net and emails etc, but for serious usage in certain fields, it's a big no-no.  I'd still recommend you install AV/malware protection onto your system though - as it gets more popular, it will get attacked more and more often.