cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Seeking Anti-Virus Software recommendation?

I use the free version of pctools antivirus (www.pctools.com).  Quick updates and no nag screens.
I also used to use AVG free until recently, but pctools seems to start up and update a lot quicker than AVG ever did.
theblisses
Grafter

Hi penfold.
Re AVG, have you tried right clicking the icon in the taskbar and opening the user interface?  From the interface double click Update Manager and in Update Manager Setting you can set a time and interval to suit you.  The same goes for scanning.
I hope I have not misunderstood your problem!
To anyone, I would heartily recommend Free AVG.
Teatime
Grafter

Another vote for Avira - got me out of a mess with an annoying Trojan, and does its day-to-day job unobtrusively. Always been a fan of free AVG, but since V8, it's been a mess.
atbs1
Grafter

Hi penfold,
Certainly for us we always recommend AVG8. Currently stable, we had some initial issues, and running on our 3 pc's.  Please don't forget about spyware though - go for spybot (with teatimer running active protection) search and destroy.
Loombucket
Grafter

Several points to mention......
1>  Stay away from Norton - a long way away.  It's horribly bloated, far too intrusive, dreadfully resource-hungry, it slows the system down alarmingly and for all that it isn't that good at what it does.  The same could be said of Macafee.
2>  If you want a paid-for package, go for AVG V8.  Despite previous comments it is easily configurable and not awfully intrusive.  It does an excellent job of protecting you against viruses, spyware, trojans, rootkits and other malware.  I have many customers running AVG 8.0 without any problems at all, although it's more resource-hungry than V7.5.  Don't use their free offering - the protection level is too low for safety these days.
3>  If a free package is for you, then look no further than Avast.  Their free offering has recently been upgraded to include spyware and rootkit protection, it's the least intrusive and the least resource-hungry of all that are currently available.  It is also extremely effective.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: SGTE
Hi penfold,
  Please don't forget about spyware though - go for spybot (with teatimer running active protection) search and destroy.

I've used Spybot for many years but since it was upgraded some while ago it never seems to find and problems whereas the earlier version did.  When I run AdAware it does find a few problems which I can delete.  What experince do you have with Spybot?
Not applicable

Was talking to my friendly computer shop-owning chappie the other day and he is of the same opinion as loombucket i.e. Avast is the best free AV programme, particularly as it has the rootkit protection. Being a creature of habit, I still use AVG8 and am very happy with it just for the reason that I know my way about it and feel comfortable seeing that little flag in the notification area. Also have not had any problems with it.
However, I did have a brief try of Avast but not for long enough to get to know it well. I wish I could get out of the rut and have another go simply because it is so highly recommended.
As previously mentioned, with the extra benefits (and very large user numbers)  that the paid-for version of AVG has, it is probably worth digging into the pocket.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: artmo
I've used Spybot for many years but since it was upgraded some while ago it never seems to find and problems whereas the earlier version did.  When I run AdAware it does find a few problems which I can delete.  What experince do you have with Spybot?

I, too, have noticed that SpyBot S & S 1.6.0 doesn't find anywhere near as many problems as the previous versions. Never gave it much thought until I read this thread. I'm thinking of running a scan with 1.6.0 then disconnecting from the internet and unisntalling in favour of 1.5.x to see if further problems are picked up. Has anyone else done this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

artmo
Aspiring Champion

Mav,
I'd be interested to see what you find.
Mav
Fixes: 514

Here are my test results.
Please remember this is not a scientific test!
Using Spybot S&S 1.6.0 with latest updates, 260181 locations (or files, not sure what this number in bottom left of window relates to) were scanned in around 7 minutes. One problem was found - Right Media  - which was fixed.
Uninstalled 1.6.0, rebooted & and installed 1.5.1.15. 260181 locations scanned in around 35 minutes with two problems found - Right Media (again) and  Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusOverride. Fixed both these.
On this basis it seems that 1.6.0 is doing it's job and at 1/5 the speed of the previous version. Smiley
It would be interesting to see anyone else's test on the above...
Edit: I will now revert back to 1.6.0
Edit 2: I did have to connect to the internet a short while as the installation of 1.5.1.15 required internet access.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

coastergrotto
Grafter

I run AVG 8 free on all my laptops both XP and Vista, without problems.     I downloaded Avast on my Vista machine after reading the recommendation on this thread but have today removed it.    On three or four occasions I couldn't connect to web sites until I turned it off monitoring the internet, email was fine. It just said 'Connecting'  but unfortunately it never did.
No idea why it suddenly started to do this but it was a pain, so I removed the program.   I was running it alongside AVG8 but i don't think that was the problem.  Anyone else have this problem?
jazz
Grafter

I've run Avast! for over a year on my XP machine and also on a Vista laptop for the last six months.  I've never had a problem with it at all and it has been quick to spot the two occasions when a virus has been picked up.  I can thoroughly recommend it.  It is not sensible though to try to run two AV progs on the same machine - they merely conflict with one another.
dogscoff

I've had no trouble at all with viruses, malware etc since installing Ubuntu from www.ubuntu.com - my system runs a lot quicker than it used to and it's completely free!
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi flodden, Kaspersky Anti Virus at the moment at PC World is £14-99p, they also have Panda Anti virus at £9-99, I use Norton Internet Security 2008 and picked it up at a sale for £25, it was going to be dearer from Norton itself to upgrade from the 2007 version.
hope it helps
jono
mjtuohy
Grafter

Hi. We have three computers around the house all running avast .It is a really good program, and in the year and a bit we have had it installed, we have not had any problems. All you have to do is about once a year when reminded by avast. Go to their site and get a new registration number. Job done.