cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security warning

FIXED
Queenie

Security warning

My norton mobile security on my mobile phone has just warned me that my plusnet wi if network is compromised and my personal data and communications are exposed to an attacker on this network. Advice please 

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Security warning

Hi there, 

The best thing to do is log in to your router and change the WiFi password. 

The guide here shows you how to log into the router's settings https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/

I'd also change your account password too which can be done by logging into the member centre on our website. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
colombo

Interesting.   We got the same message on my partner's phone this morning.  This is a potentially serious security issue and we use the internet for shopping and some banking.  

I've spent the last few of hours examining the router and it's setup, as far as it will let me.  

- Password changed - Norton still reports problem

- Account password changed Norton still reports problem

- Checked for unknown devices. Checked Firmware up to date (10.2.5.2.FO)

-  Reset using the button at the back Norton still reports problem

- Reverted to factory settings from the menu.  (Had to re-log onto plusnet after that)  Norton still reports problem

- Reconfigured it back to as it was, as locked down as I can Norton still reports problem 

- Removed all devices from the network (apart from the laptop connected directly over ethernet.)  Scanned my Mac Norton still reports problem

- Tried another Mac (as the sole item on the network).  Scanned that Norton still reports problem

- Played with the wireless connection settings. Norton still reports problem so reverted to WPA + WPA2 Mixed mode.

Beyond this the router seems locked down.  If Norton is correct, and there is a problem, I don't seem to be able to get to it.

Norton mobile is still reporting a problem.  Any suggestions?  - apart that is, from buying a more secure router?

Anonymous
Not applicable

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Fix
Maybe Norton is at fault - there seems to have been some issues with false positives with this functionality, are there any updates for the application?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
colombo

An update:

On the Norton webs site there is a post from Gayathri R Norton Forums Administrator:

"We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Build number 4.1.0.4063 has been released that fixes the issue where Norton Mobile Security reports the WiFi network is compromised"

So it sounds like a false alarm, and a wasted morning Sad

Queenie

Logged into my norton account on my phone appears norton are aware of the problem and was advised to update norton security for android on the google play store and run a WiFi security scan again. Seems to have fixed the problem fingers crossed.