cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security - Thomson 4 port wireless router

ogawd
Grafter

Security - Thomson 4 port wireless router

I have a security issue I'd like your thoughts on. I am new to broadband and to Plusnet. I'm on option 1 - 2GB monthly limit.
On the 2nd day of using Plusnet, I noticed an excessive usage. This has been identified as an unaccounted 149MB between 9-10am. I was web browsing at that time, and no automatic updates are enabled. My normal web browsing would not account for 149MB in an hour.
I have an ethernet cable connection, but at the time wireless was enabled. I did not realise that wireless was enabled by default. I have now disabled wireless.
What I want to find out is whether someone was using my wireless connection whilst I was connected via ethernet cable. I was running Windows XP at the time with Zonealarm firewall and AVG antivirus. Spybot revealed no issues.
Is there a problem with the intrusion via the router or with Windows XP?

33 REPLIES 33
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Security - Thomson 4 port wireless router

if you did not have either Wep (not very secure) or WPA enabled, any one could be using your link and you would not know it.  my portable battery netbook tell me all the routers close by and what their level of security is.  Surprising the number of open links there are.  - Not that I would use them  Roll_eyes its against missuse of Phone regulations  Grin

When you say you now have wireless disabled - in the Router I hope - it is apparently an option on the Thompson router, I havnt as I have two laptops one ethernet one wireless
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The Thomson 4-port routers supplied by Plusnet have WPA-PSK wireless security enabled by default, so illicit usage should not be a problem.
David
Wheel_nut
Grafter

If you point your Browser to http://192.168.1.254 and log in and then click  Home Network on the side-bar, you will see the Hostname of each computer that has been connected to your network. The Router seems to maintain a history until the IP addresses are re-used.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Doesnt on mine, only one WiFi show and that is labled just computor name, I personally have had two on at one time since last reboot and both have had a name
ogawd
Grafter

WPA was enabled by default during setup. I haven't disabled  WPA.
I have a wired ethernet connection, but wireless was enabled by default. I do not have a wireless adaptor on my computer, so I cannot use wireless.
I did a hardware reset of the router when I discovered the unaccountable excessive usage and reset username and password.
What I am wondering is whether someone can use the wireless facility even though WPA is enabled.
NB. I'm using dial at present, although I managed to connect earlier this morning. Cannot connect to the Thomson gateway using the router. Just another problem with Plusnet?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

most unlikely with WPA but not impossible, WEP security is easily cracked
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: ogawd
NB. I'm using dial at present, although I managed to connect earlier this morning. Cannot connect to the Thomson gateway using the router. Just another problem with Plusnet?

Failure to connect should not be "Just another problem with Plusnet" and the thought would horrify them. I suggest you give the Customer Service Centre a ring (0114 296 5198), there isn't a queue of calls waiting at present. Select the options that deal with a fault and take you through to speaking to an agent.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Service Status RSS Feeds
Planned Network Maintenance - Sunday 30th November 10:30am-11:00am
Internet Connectivity
Posted on: Sunday 30 November 2008, 03:40
When's this work happening?
Later on this morning.
What does it affect?
Routing between two of our London data centres.
How long will it take?
About 30 minutes.
What does the work involve?
Networking equipment will be reloaded at Telecity data centre where one of our data suites is located.
Is it likely to cause problems?
No.
Is there anything else I need to know?
No.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support
scootie
Grafter

To rule out that any software on your computer is using bandwidth in the background you could install one of the many free software bandwidth monitors. most give you a break down of which programs have used what usage ect.
when i was on option 1 i used net limiter 2.
ogawd
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt

Failure to connect should not be "Just another problem with Plusnet" and the thought would horrify them. I suggest you give the Customer Service Centre a ring (0114 296 5198), there isn't a queue of calls waiting at present. Select the options that deal with a fault and take you through to speaking to an agent.

Thanks. I spoke to CSC and it appears the problem getting a connection is not Plusnet's fault. I was using Ubuntu at the time - it was a Ubuntu problem.
I'm still unsure about this wireless issue.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Please tell us the Ubuntu problem.  I use Ubuntu and would like to know of any issue like this.
puddy
Grafter

Most speedtouch routers with a button on the front  can be setup so that to add a wirless device you have to push button  to gain acces to your wireless network.
Other speedtouch model 's have a ssid key and password on the bottom. Setup the router to allow access by registration for new devices, you use this so anybody who tries to access your wireless network have to enter ssid code and password (note this is not your connection to plusnet) and set wpa or wpa2
you only need to do this once when setting up your network
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

that button is not active in V7 which PN issue, it is in the Beta V8 - but not yet reliable
ogawd
Grafter

Quote from: alanf
Please tell us the Ubuntu problem.  I use Ubuntu and would like to know of any issue like this.

The Ubuntu problem was nothing to do with a wireless security issue.

I was having a problem connecting to the Thomson Gateway. If I plug in the router before booting up Ubuntu I can connect to the Gateway. But when I booted up Ubuntu and then pluged in the router I couldn't connect to the Gateway. I think that was the problem, but I'm not absolutely certain as yet. I am new to Ubuntu.
The wireless security issue came about when I was running Windows XP. If there is no possibility of a security issue with the Thomson router, then the problem I had with unexplained usage may be an XP problem. I haven't ruled that out.