Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security: TG582n transmits occasionally the serial number unprotected over wifi

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Security: TG582n broadcasts serial number unprotected over wifi

You'd have to be connected on the network to get/see this information in the first place. It wouldn't be accessible to anyone who isn't connected via either a WAN or LAN connection.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Edit: I thought I posted a scan result before connecting to the wifi but it appears I didn't. Although I did see it from another nearby Technicolor router that I obviously don't know the wifi key for.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Apologies.... This information is broadcast without being connected either via a LAN or WIFI connection, the information cannot be used though unless you're connected on the network itself.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Except I understand one can hack in with WPS and presumably via a number of other means if you have the knowledge - yes/no?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, like pretty much all wireless technology it can be hacked given sufficient time and knowledge.
mattturner
Grafter

Sufficient time = many many hundred/thousands/millions (?) of years using the default configuration of our router.
Anotherone
Champion

I didn't think WPS was that secure! Has that issue been solved now?
frank39
Grafter

According to this post, hacking the WPS can't be too difficult:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116274.0.html
as this PN client found to his/her cost.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Frank,
You have just created a loop, your link goes to the first post of this thread  Huh
Dan
frank39
Grafter

Thanks for pointing that out! It's the problem of posting from an iPad instead of a real computer.  Here's the proper link (I hope):
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116018.0.html
Sorry guys.  
It's reply #11 in that thread that I found memorable.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Security: TG582n transmits occasionally the serial number unprotected over wifi

I was wrong about how often the serial number and other info is transmitted, it's not broadcast constantly.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Security: TG582n transmits occasionally the serial number unprotected over wifi

@Anotherone - if I was understanding Matt correctly when he explained this the other day, the router extends the WPS time each time a successive attempt is made which will certainly drag out the brute force attempts.
Anotherone
Champion

From what I've read (not everything that's available on the WPS issue), the techniques available make it a lot easier than some would think. AFAIK this issue, WPS, still remains unless someone can provide definitive links to how, when, where etc. it's been fixed (we aren't talking just the 582n).
As far as transmitting the serial number of the 582n goes, I don't think that's very clever and I suspect that most people will think that the (Modem/)Router default login (admin) is fairly secure because the password (not a dictionary word and a mixture of alpha-numerics) is unique to each unit., that's until you transmit it to the local area of course!
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: frank39
It's reply #11 in that thread that I found memorable.

Hi Frank,
The poster in the other thread is not using one of our routers.
Matt (other) is correct that the TG582n has a method to lock out WPS after many failed attempts. A link to the US-Cert description verifying this is here: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/JALR-8PKL26
The latest firmware updates (10.2.0.8 onwards) disable WPS upon the 10th failed attempt. The router will need to be rebooted to turn WPS back on.
Thanks,
Matt
frank39
Grafter

Thanks Matt. 
My TG582n is running firmware 10.2.1.8, supplied by you (PN) and WPS seems to be permanently disabled, that is, there is no option to switch it on.  I'm not complaining about that as I have always disabled it when the router has the option.
Frank
PS It doesn't say much for Netgear security if the dude in the bandana can hack the WPS while he's visiting his girlfriend!