cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Concerns

cyberpenguin

Security Concerns

Just a couple of things...
1, I don't like the fact that when I do a reverse DNS lookup on Plusnet I can see my username which individually identifies me and shows my username to anyone on the web, can this be changed to show an Ip address etc. ?
2, The Thompson router is rubbish! I'm unable to close ports 80 and 443 to the outside so I’m getting hit by everyone and there dog (including a lot of people in China) any chance plusnet will consider changing it for a nice new cisco. (Probably not, me thinks)
anyone got any thoughts on the above...
oooh Also, the Thompson also uses weak crypto keys (public) that are too short and SSL v2 is enabled (not so good!) Tongue
8 REPLIES 8
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Security Concerns

1. Raise a ticket and ask for your rdns to be changed, it can be your IP address or what ever you want with in reason
2. have you tried any of the port scan sites to check if its just the firewall reporting a probe that wasn't given a response?  e.g. http://www.grc.com/
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
will2012
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
1. Raise a ticket and ask for your rdns to be changed, it can be your IP address or what ever you want with in reason

I asked and they changed it to my IP addess. However, I run my own email server and could really do with it changing to my domain name -it's not vital, but really it should be the domain name - I have asked several times for this to happen but it never has. I asked again the other day, an rDNS lookup a week later shows nothing happened.
Ip address, no problem, anything else, good luck!
will2012
Grafter

Also, I don't know whether they can do this if you don't have a static IP
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

If you own the domain and have a forward A record set up to your PN IP address then I can change the rDNS to your domain if you like ?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

will2012
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I have an A record to my ip.
Can I check something with you? If someone has my IP address, as it stands, without an appropriate rDNS entry, although they can use it to access my server, they cant link it to a web address, and therefor whois info can they?
Apart from the odd server the only domain I am aware of which wont accept my email without rDNS is AOL. This is why I never really chased Plusnet up about it, as I have always been in two minds as to whether it was important enough to have my name and home address connected to an IP address, without someone having to go through Plusnet first. As I don't trade under this domain I know I can have my details removed from the whois database, but I don't trust them - I asked them to remove the details, they duly did. My sixth-sense for cockups kicked in a few months later telling me to recheck they were removed, and lo and behold, they were back online. I have no faith in them whatsoever.
Sorry for hijacking your thread op.
cyberpenguin

Sorry for hijacking your thread op.

No worries always good to have a debate Smiley
Will get my rDNS changed, tried everything with the thompson, work have a special vulnerability scanner so give the router a poke with that and ports 80 and 443 are jammed wide open. Going to get a Cisco this afternoon, at least I know how to set one of those up so it won't leak Smiley
Thanks all Tongue
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: will2012
Can I check something with you? If someone has my IP address, as it stands, without an appropriate rDNS entry, although they can use it to access my server, they cant link it to a web address, and therefor whois info can they?

Not easily unless there are email traces or something similar that have been indexed by search engines.
Quote from: will2012
Apart from the odd server the only domain I am aware of which wont accept my email without rDNS is AOL.

I doubt matching forward/reverse DNS would help you there. To my knowledge AOL will block based on the IP you're assigned. Whilst it's static, it's registered with RIPE as a dynamic range used by an ISP (us) to assign to customers. They don't tend to like this and you normally have to smarthost through our relays in order to get messages to the AOL massive.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

will2012
Grafter

Yes, I think I'll pass. I dont like the idea of my address being potentially available without good reason. I know many have issues sending to AOL, and if I correct this as you say, there will be some other reason they wont accept it. I don't appear to have any problems with any other domains.