Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled WiFi Access Parental control easily bypassed

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Scheduled WiFi Access Parental control easily bypassed

First I'm going to explain how to do a graceful disconnect, which is a method you should do from now on, should you need to switch off/resync/reboot - in fact anything that involves a loss of sync.
use the following Disconnect method -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line if you need to make any changes (configuration or otherwise) that involves powering up & rebooting the TG582n.
Do whatever is needed, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, when it's booted, Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP Internet session.
(Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day). This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
OK, that's the method to use in future, now to some nitty gritty.
My interpretation of your posts to date is that your first concern is your son getting unauthorised access (when you aren't there to supervise) and then your second concern is the TG582n appearing not to retain settings after a power down. If that is not correct, please post back what your concerns are in order of importance.
The procedure I gave in reply #32 above will deal with the first concern, whatever settings the TG582n may retain or not. If it does not retain any changed settings at all then you will simply have to re-enter the new broadband password each time as it will have retained the old one, or the TR069 details which won't respond as you will have changed the settings at the member centre.
If for some reason you do not want to go down that route of reply #32 at the moment (please explain why) then just do the following -
Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser address bar.
At the bottom of the default landing page, select 5.4 >Advanced Options and login.
Now first, on the LH menu, select >Technicolor Gateway then >Configuration below that, then >Configure on the top RH side.
Under System Configuration, towards the bottom, select >Disabled from the drop down box for Web Browsing Interception: and click >Apply
(you will now no longer be direct to the modem/router home page if the connection drops for any reason).
Then
On the LH menu, now select >Broadband Connection and then in the middle of the screen > under Internet  >View more.....
You should be on the Internet Overview page
Now click >Disconnect in the box. You should now see boxes with your Username and Password. Put the cursor in the Password box and delete the password. Below this box - untick the Remember Password box.
NOTE - this is your broadband password, not your TG582n login password.
You can now click Logout on the top RH side.
You should now be back on the "Landing page".
As a first check, select 5.4 Advanced options again, and login, and go to the same pages as above and check the boxes remain unticked and no password in the password box.  If all is ok then logout.
Next step power down the modem/router, wait a minute and unplug it from the line.
Whilst it is unplugged from the line, power it up again, and when it has booted, put 192.168.1.254 in the address bar again and select 5.4 Advanced Options and login again.
Goto the same pages and see if the boxes remains unticked and the password box empty.  Whilst you are logged in check and see if your wireless settings are as you previously set them.
Once you have done that, plug the line back in and when the Broadband light is stable, enter your broadband password in the password box and click Connect.  When the Internet light is steady,  logout of the TG582n.
Post back on here what the results were, and whether everything did as it should.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all,
As per a request over PM from Anotherone I've just tried to run some diagnostic checks however the circuit is showing as "out of sync" at the moment.
I note from this thread that the router has been powered off for occasional periods, however we would see a different result on the diagnostic checks of "NTE power off" if that was the case in this instance.
With that in mind I'd be more inclined to believe there's a fault.
@oobiedoobie It would still be worth trying a different router if you're able to get your hands on one. Failing that reporting a fault would be a good idea: http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
First I'm going to explain how to do a graceful disconnect, which is a method you should do from now on, should you need to switch off/resync/reboot - in fact anything that involves a loss of sync.
use the following Disconnect method -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line if you need to make any changes (configuration or otherwise) that involves powering up & rebooting the TG582n.
Do whatever is needed, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, when it's booted, Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP Internet session.
(Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day). This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
OK, that's the method to use in future, now to some nitty gritty.
My interpretation of your posts to date is that your first concern is your son getting unauthorised access (when you aren't there to supervise) and then your second concern is the TG582n appearing not to retain settings after a power down. If that is not correct, please post back what your concerns are in order of importance.
The procedure I gave in reply #32 above will deal with the first concern, whatever settings the TG582n may retain or not. If it does not retain any changed settings at all then you will simply have to re-enter the new broadband password each time as it will have retained the old one, or the TR069 details which won't respond as you will have changed the settings at the member centre.
If for some reason you do not want to go down that route of reply #32 at the moment (please explain why) then just do the following -
Type 192.168.1.254 into your browser address bar.
At the bottom of the default landing page, select 5.4 >Advanced Options and login.
Now first, on the LH menu, select >Technicolor Gateway then >Configuration below that, then >Configure on the top RH side.
Under System Configuration, towards the bottom, select >Disabled from the drop down box for Web Browsing Interception: and click >Apply
(you will now no longer be direct to the modem/router home page if the connection drops for any reason).
Then
On the LH menu, now select >Broadband Connection and then in the middle of the screen > under Internet  >View more.....
You should be on the Internet Overview page
Now click >Disconnect in the box. You should now see boxes with your Username and Password. Put the cursor in the Password box and delete the password. Below this box - untick the Remember Password box.
NOTE - this is your broadband password, not your TG582n login password.
You can now click Logout on the top RH side.
You should now be back on the "Landing page".
As a first check, select 5.4 Advanced options again, and login, and go to the same pages as above and check the boxes remain unticked and no password in the password box.  If all is ok then logout.
Next step power down the modem/router, wait a minute and unplug it from the line.
Whilst it is unplugged from the line, power it up again, and when it has booted, put 192.168.1.254 in the address bar again and select 5.4 Advanced Options and login again.
Goto the same pages and see if the boxes remains unticked and the password box empty.  Whilst you are logged in check and see if your wireless settings are as you previously set them.
Once you have done that, plug the line back in and when the Broadband light is stable, enter your broadband password in the password box and click Connect.  When the Internet light is steady,  logout of the TG582n.
Post back on here what the results were, and whether everything did as it should.

Hi - sorry we've been away for a couple of days. I phoned Plusnet today and the support guy said best to keep the router powered on. What I was doing (turning laptop and router off at the mains) might explain the fresh state of the router box each time I turned it back on as the personalised settings / information I enter (new password / wifi settings). It also seemed to explain my slight drop in line speed (however as I don't watch much online TV I hadn't noticed)
This way, I'd also have the scheduled wifi timer settings constant and not have to set them each day.
I will however try and look at and try your suggestions tomorrow or Wednesday - we're a bit busy with Xmas organisation this week.
Anotherone
Champion

Understand about all the Christmas organisation, we are all in similar boats, no problem!  However I'm not sure that whoever you spoke to in support really understood the problem. AFAIK the settings should be retained, but we will see in due course.
oobiedoobie
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Understand about all the Christmas organisation, we are all in similar boats, no problem!  However I'm not sure that whoever you spoke to in support really understood the problem. AFAIK the settings should be retained, but we will see in due course.

Thanks for your time and patience - I logged onto Plusnet today and managed to get live chat with technical support.
The router has basically seemed to be checking back for auto-configure and the problem has been dealt with.
I'm going to say problem solved. Thanks to (nearly) everyone who replied - Anotherone - your patience is commendable.
Happy New Year to all.
Anotherone
Champion

A happy new year to you. Well I hope everything progresses OK. Did you make the changes I suggested in reply #32? - you don't have to have "auto-configuration". It's primarily there for people without any technical ability who just want to plug in the box and everything works - plug and play.
As I mentioned in the post it will give a good degree of protection from abuse.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Happy New Year to you too.
Glad to hear that this is sorted - it has been an interesting illumination of the danger of presuming what was happening and the ability of teenagers to defeat well intended parental controls.
This is one for the memory bank!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I'm not sure it is completely resolved which is why I asked the question Wink