Grafter

Same stats, half speed?

Statistics:
8128 downstream (9.0 db attenuation / 11.3 db snr) sync
448 upstream (5.5db attenuation / 26.0 db snr) sync
7150 bras
interleaving OFF
linksys wag54g2
Recently had some issues with dropping syncs / profile drops. Decided to replace long rj11 extension + swap router to a new one which in turn gave constant max syncs again and after a few days of max synced stability the ip profile rose back to what it used to be.
Previously I had roughly the same line stats, just with a different router and would be seeing 7500k throughput (800K+) downloads, 400k uploads (40k+) from decent hosts. Since then, the best I can get is 4400 downstream (550k) and 200k upstream (25k).
Obviously this isnt a complaint or a request for any fixing to be done, 550k is enough for me obviously but im just very curious as to how I can drop to half the speed yet be on maximum sync / maximum ip profile? Is it possible although the line syncs at 8128 and is stable (and with excellent stats, I might add) it is not capable of delivering the same speed as before, possibly due to aged filters or line degradation?
The testing was done via 2 machines via cable (laptop/desktop) with no other machines or devices plugged in. Tried mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, bbmax speedtest, speedtest.net & the thinkbroadband download test files which used to download at 830k+ now stuck at 540. QoS on router is active with high priority to Ethernet port 1 (my desktop) if it makes any difference.
Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
scootie
Grafter

Re: Same stats, half speed?

9db atten. do you rent a room at the bt exchange Grin
have you rebooted router since your profile went back to normal? sry didnt see the upload throughput was poor as well.
some router chips perform better on short lines where some others perform better on long lines. iam not sure if this effects throughput thoe when there syncing high and profile is high.
wheres that brightspark spot light . iam sure one of the capped crusader's will shed light on this
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Have you tried a BT speedtest? If so can you remember what the IP Profile was set at?
I'll go take a look from our side and make sure everything matches correctly.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just ran a quick line test from here and it's showing you are syncing at 7136 which means your IP profile is 6000. So you won't see throughout speeds over that unless your sync speed increases and then remains stable.
Have a read of this for info on speed issues
link:speed
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

In your first post you said you were replacing a long cable - is this between your router and the filter or filter to socket? If it's either of those and not a good quality cable you will probably be compromising your speeds - especially if that cable runs near other equipment which could cause interference.
The absolute best set-up is for the router to be plugged in to the master socket and then use a long Cat 5e ethernet cable to extend to your PC. If you have multiple PCs buy a cheap (approx £5-£10) switch to put at the end of the ethernet cable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

What I'm having trouble getting my head around at the moment is that the OP says he's syncing at 8128 in his first post, yet Chris Parr says his test showed a sync of 7136, which for a 9dB attenuation line shows something is not right!
Dodgydog
Grafter

I dont want to hijack the topic but this sounds all to familier , Line sync with exchange 8128 down and 448 up as always , Ip profile 7150 again as always and yes if we move our house 45ft to the left we would be living in the exchange . Usual ip throughput on all speedtesters was between 6.5 and 7 meg download . On the 15th of march we changed from bbyw expensive one (lots of added usage ) to the new unlimited product . Since the 16th of march the line stats etc have stayed EXACTLY as they have always been but the ip throughput has dropped to a nice stable 4.5 mb approx verified on several speedtests , so i raised a query about being capped . When speaking to a tech adviser at plusnet he verified line and stats correct and said the fatal words "IT DOES SEEM TO BE A THROUGHPUT PROBLEM AT OUR END" .This was followed by a reply in my questions asking the usual "jump through a hoop backwards with a monkey tied to your left leg while whistling dixie " type answer IE: test everything as it cant possibly be us.I am one of the very fortunate ones, it is amazing what an openreach engineer will do for a cup of coffee on a cold day on his break so i know there is absolutely NO problem at my end s it has all been checked "it can only be some sort of problem at your internet provider or throttling as there is no problem this end , or the exchange" .Maybe a bright spark could shed a bit of light on it but it does seem to me to be suspicious that it happened when product changed to super new unlimited.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd expect you to see poorer performance going from BBYW 2 or 3 to Unlimited.
Compare the shaping on the two products here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping2.htm
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Dodgydog
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I'd expect you to see poorer performance going from BBYW 2 or 3 to Unlimited.
Compare the shaping on the two products here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping2.htm

yep poorer performance on p2p during the day but NOT a seeming line cap on plusnet and bt speedtesters to approx 4.5mb max .A speedtest is not one of the restricted protocols so should run at line speed
Dodgydog
Grafter

HOLD YOUR HORSES I BELIEVE I HAVE THE ANSWER , like me you have a linksys with qos enabled . I would bet you have it set to auto on the bandwith (regardless of high priority setting ) .Go to the qos page on router and put the bandwith to manual but rounded up (if your download sync is 8128 set it to 9000) , Save the settings and power off the router and restart it . When restarted do a speedtest , You might get a pleasant surprise . I have done this and my speed has gone straight away up to 6.9mb again  . This fix applies to linksys wag54g2 and the wag106n and has come from the linksys american (non official) support site. , Hope it helps you out        and sorry PN for moaning at you  Embarrassed
Anotherone
Champion

So I have a better understanding of this, if initially you didn't change anything at your end, why would changing products make a difference that resulted in you having to change a router setting?
Dodgydog
Grafter

well just to clarify , the day after the product change i changed my router to a linksys due to zoom giving up . I set the router just the same as zoom and were getting the same stats as zoom ie line speed down and up and att , but doing a speed test gave only 4.5mb . Just the same as the original poster i had qos on and bandwith set to auto with my pc on highest priority , didnt matter what i tried line speed stayed at 8128 down and 448 up but throughput wouldnt go over 4.5mb . This had myself and PN puzzled until last night when i came across a post on an american forum about the same problem , followed their fix regarding qos system and immediatly throughput back to 6.9mb .Spoke to linksys who were "unaware of this problem" but a lot of people have had the same symptoms with the same routers and this has fixed it , i would put that the average user wouldnt really notice as they wouldnt pay that much attention to speeds so it would be an unnoticed problem .
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for the explanation.
karmi
Grafter

Sorry to bump a terribly old thread but Dodgydog's explanation was spot on.
After some research it turns out to be a fairly common Linksys problem although I never would of suspected it was to do with the QoS / IAP settings.
Have a look at this:
http://img218.imageshack.us/i/wag54g2.jpg/
(The box is what I changed; from Automatic to Manual then I set it to 9000k and rebooted router; speed doubled when it came back up)
And the speedtest before & immediately after the router was rebooted:
http://img231.imageshack.us/i/speedtest.jpg/
(Pretty big difference; 3+mb downstream increase doubled upload?)
So like - what an amazing solution! I was going to post again and I had a PM from Dodgydog which sorted it in 5 minutes. I'm 100% there's people out there with Linksys routers who might be having the same issue and I dont think the issue is 100% exclusive to the WAG54G2.
Hope this can help somebody else as much as it helped me Smiley