Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows box blocking internet access

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

SamKnows box blocking internet access

Here's a new one! I have one of the original SamKnows black boxes (LinkSys WRT160NL). This morning X-lite couldn't connect, Thunderbird couldn't connect and I couldn't reach websites using Firefox - except that the Google home page had come up perfectly OK. I then noticed that 4or6 was saying that Google was being access via IPv6 so tried a couple of other IPv6 websites which I could access OK so the problem was specific to IPv4.
I could access the router home page so tried a disconnect/reconnect via the router interface - still the same.
Having had some funnies with the SamKnows box in the past so I tried rebooting that - and all sprang in to life again. Looks like there is a bug on that version of the SamKnows box (maybe a memory leak) that leads to it locking out IPv4 after a period of time.
Edit: Looking at the SamKnows dashboard, no data has been collected since 10pm last night.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: SamKnows box blocking internet access

I thought those old boxes had now been superseded?
I had one and it ran without issues for years until I moved (a few months back) from Be to PN.
I contacted SK and they said to take it out of use before moving and to contact them for a new one if I wanted to continue with my new ISP - so far I haven't got round to that.  Cry
From what I understood it would still have been gathering data (on Be until my move) but the newer boxes are better for both data collection and monitoring of your own stats so they wouldn't reconfigure an old one.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Hello xxx,
Thanks for letting us know of this issue.
The WRT160NL is a device that we have replaced with a different model that does not exhibit this behaviour. We're more than happy to replace the unit, please provide your full shipping address and I'll arrange for a replacement to be sent out to you.
You won't need to return the old unit back to us, please dispose of it or ideally please have the unit recycled when the replacement arrives.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,
Ati
The SamKnows Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero

New box has arrived which is a TP-Link TL-WR741ND
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Your new white-box then Smiley same as mine, I forgot to tick the gig ethernet option to get the better one. I did notice that my air print didn't work properly until i got my  TP-Link TL-WR741ND, no idea why!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

AirPrint - what printer?
I've got a Samsung laser printer and have had numerous issues with wifi and AirPrint.
Wifi: Printer totally drops off the wifi network - trial and error changes rather suggest that the printer does not "follow" dynamic channel changes when the router is set to auto channel selection.  Setting the router to a fixed wifi channel eliminated the problem
AirPrint: This function kept "going" to sleep - that is the service could no longer be found - clearly this could have some relationship with the above, but was also experienced when the above had been mitigated.  Initially the supplier thought this might be down to the Eco settings switching off services to save power.  As it turned out the firmware was somewhat out of date.  Post the firmware update it all functions correctly.
HTH?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I say Airprint, what I mean is that I use cups as a print server via a raspberry pi for my old but very reliable HP-C4200. I think I'm using this script https://github.com/tjfontaine/airprint-generate as well as Avahi etc, it's been a while now since I put it all together. Getting back to the point, before we had the white-box what you are explaining to me sounds similar, we had to keep doing a disable/re-enable of the wifi on the Mac or Ipad to get the printer to reappear again, I can't remember how long the printer would be visible for, but for sure no more than 30 minutes. I always assumed the problem was down to an mDNS issue but i never got to the bottom of it because the white-box solved it for me.