Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SamKnows Whitebox performance testing

Egbert_Nosh
Hooked

Re: SamKnows Whitebox performance testing

Maybe I should sign up for this as my BB speed is currently:

0.16Mbps downstream (yep, about 160Kbps)

0.35Mbs upstream

,,,and has been no better than this for a week. Tech support haven't responded to anything I've posted in over five days.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You probably shouldn't install a whitebox.

SamKnows will send/receive data when you are not utilising the internet.

It will only produce speed-test info.

You have to get this connection issue escalated to a level where it can be fixed.

Don't accept the standard excuses, ask for a genuine explanation.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Strange to have stumbled upon this earlier today only to find it here.

I was doing a search trying to get some sort of handle about broadband in my area but plusnet does not seem to be on the list here.   

https://www.samknows.com/broadband/county/Carmarthenshire

Is that because they are part of the BT group of companies? I'm guessing it is.

When we read about coverage and availability I'm also guessing most is centred around high population areas making such claims as 80/90% coverage somewhat misleading but, I'll keeping looking.

PS. Have applied for one of these whiteboxes to see if will help me make sense of my own abysmal internet speed. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That list is LLU only

Minivanman
Legend

Had to look that one up, but why no plusnet? 

Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) is the process of opening up a telephone exchange so that it can be used by a number of different broadband providers. These broadband providers are then able to use connections from the telephone exchange through to the customer's homes to deliver home broadband.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Oldjim
Resting Legend

because Plusnet are not an LLU supplier - they don't have any equipment in the exchange

Minivanman
Legend

OK I'm well confused now, so only BT have equipment in those telephone exchanges and mine in particular then?

I presume we are talking hardware here. 

PS. Just found this so let me get this right, plusnet is bundled ie: with BT, and others are not therefore if I went to another supplier I might get different software and a better speed? Hmm

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/what_is_llu/

As you might have figured, I'm not expert on this sort of stuff. Smiley

Herman Melville
Oldjim
Resting Legend

You need to check your specific exchange

I suggest here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/broadbandchecker.php

The LLU providers are listed and the basic situation is that they will have their own equipment in the exchange

Non LLU providers (includes Plusnet) don't have that so they use the standard BT Openreach equipment

Whether you would get better speeds with an LLU provider - answer it depends but you can't tell in advance

Note that the wires from the exchange are the same in either case

Minivanman
Legend

Cheers for the info Cool_smiley

Herman Melville
nabs
Dabbler

@Minivanman for what it's worth Sky are an LLU provider in my area and their speeds are abysmal compared to BT. Fibre connections that BT supply are coming in at ~50Mbps, Sky in the same location can't even manage half that, my colleague gets nearer 15Mbps. Apparently the equipment they installed in the exchanges years ago (which at the time made them the fastest in the area) can't cope with today's demand so their speeds have taken a big hit. Not saying it's the same near you but certainly one to watch out for!

Minivanman
Legend

Thanks for that nabs. I had considered Sky as an alternative to plusnet along the lines of it cannot be any worse when it comes to line speed. The Post Office also seem to be doing good deals at the moment and again, it cannot be any worse!

BT have certainly got this one wrong with no excuses, leaving the likes of their sister company plusnet to say sorry along with all the other TPP's chasing their tails no doubt whilst pulling their hair out. Guess I'll just have to wait for fibre to be available in my area.  

Herman Melville
Adamtemp
Grafter

I was part of the old adsl whitebox brigade for years but had to be removed due to my pending fibre upgrade I have re-signed up on the link in the first post and hope I can contribute again if selected

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 80/20 fttc
Paualsh112

The developed apps to measure mobile broadband performance, available for Android and iOS. The apps measure all of our core metrics using the same methodology as on the Whiteboxes, and the Android app even supports running scheduled measurements in the background. We're still rolling the apps out across the world, so if your country isn't yet supported please check back soon.

Paualsh112

The Community Site is the place where you can share your experiences of our service, get advice on technical (and not so technical) issues and find out more about the goings on here in Plusnet Towers.

nabs
Dabbler

@Paualsh112 is this an app from SamKnows?