cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sagecom 2704n Router Upgrade

borderpath
Dabbler

Sagecom 2704n Router Upgrade

Have been attempting to contact someone by Live Chat but the option never seems to be available.

At the moment our internet is handled by a Sagecom 2704N router allied with a fairly basic modem. Whilst initially this setup met our needs, perhaps due to the increased demands being placed upon it, it no longer performs in a satisfactory manner. We have made a number of attempts to boost its performance - as per the Forum - with little success. Acquiring diagnostic information also seems to be difficult.

In the light of the fact that I have been a Plusnet customer for just under 15 years continuously, I was wondering if consideration might be processing a complimentary upgrade to this router to something a tad more modern and affording greater flexibility in use.

Thank you in anticipation.

14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Sagecom 2704n Router Upgrade

Plusnet will offer you a new Hub One if you re-contract for a year or two. If you are going down this route you would be better off ringing them and selecting the 'I'm thinking of leaving option'. The chances are that in exchange for a new contract you will be able to negotiate a new router AND a discount. Either way you will have to pay P&P on the router of £6.99.

Alternatively if you are prepared to spend £30ish on a better router then go onto Ebay, buy a BT Smarthub 6 and set it up as described in the Router forum.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 I'm going to keep following you around and agreeing with you 🙂

@borderpath - I've just asked PN (John Lewis actually, but it's the same router) to send me a new hub.

They sent me another 2704N 😞

I had exactly the same issues as you. The 2704N is single band and TBH, a bit rubbish.

If you're on ADSL I'm not sure you'll get anything better from PN. I think you might be fibre though? The Hub One is (I think) a BT HH5A anyway, so should be an improvement.

Based on very good advice on here, I bought a BT Business Hub 6 for £33 on eBay, brand new, delivered.

It's a relevation. Dual band (almost essential with modern 5ghz devices), MIMO (multiple gadget black magic) and more attenae and better wifi range than the 2704N. Just read the reviews on them. They are £100 through normal resellers.

Very easy to setup (there's a thread dedicated to it) and it's not only saved my sanity but vastly improved wifi speeds.

Quick questions:

I think you might be fibre so the Hub One should be ok. If you're out of contract just ask to sign up and say you want a new router. They do charge postage.

What is your wifi speed?

What is your wired speed?

Baldrick1

As the OP mentioned a basic modem as well as the router I assumed that this is a fibre connection. I did not notice that.it has been posted on the Broadband board.

So yes if it is an ADSL connection then all that probably will be offered by Plusnet will be a Hub Zero, which in my opinion is not worth the P&P charge.

If it's wrongly posted and is a fibre connection  then a Hub One should be on offer. To compare the wireless performance of a Hub One with a Smarthub 6 see here: https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/c6nx/bt_smart_hub_test_report.pdf

Moderator and Customer

borderpath
Dabbler

Many thanks for your response and the helpful information provided. Having already prepaid line rental almost through to the end of the year I'll have to think carefully if I'm to be asked to commit to a further couple of years. Thanks again. 

borderpath
Dabbler

Many thanks for your response and all the information provided. Unfortunately have prepaid line rental almost through to the end of the year so not in the best bargaining position; don't really want to have to commit for a further long period. Will take a look at the BT Business Hub 6 on eBay as you suggest.

Yes. confirm we're on fibre. Originally, wired speed was around 28 (in 2015) but this can often be down to 15 these days. (upload speed is almost as good at 8.7! tonight). Wi-fi was usually about 21 but again not that high currently.

Thanks again for your input.

Baldrick1

Don't get too precious about needing a business hub 6. The standard Smarthub 6 works just as well. Some people prefer the business version as you can select the default DNS server rather than being stuck with the standard Plusnet offering.

For more information see here, you need to read the full topic as more information became available after my original posting:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Smart-Hub-6-Variants-and-Performance/td-p/1504366

Moderator and Customer

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Agree again with what @Baldrick1 said. 

I only got the Business hub because it allows me to tweak things a bit more if I want to.

As you are on fibre, you could ask for the Hub One and pay about £6.99 postage. You shouldn't need to agree to sign up to anything. That should be an improvement on what you have. Or buy a HH6 on-line.

Your wired speed seems low, particularly as your upload speed seems good. Have you done any of the other tests to check what your line can offer and make sure there aren't  any other external factors influencing your speed?

Other factors aside, getting rid of the 2704N should be a starting point as it can only improve things.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There are better hubs than rebadged BT ones for not a lot of money.  Do some research and shop around.  I picked up a boxed (apparently unused) TP Archer 6 for £10 from a charity shop.  Ok that particular item is not VDSL, but the principle stands, there's better than BT hubs to be had for not a lot more than the P&P from Plusnet.

It is an out rage that Plusnet are so hampered by having to use last-year's model hand-me-down routers from big brother.  They do the basics OK, but the can be pigs to do anything more than simples with!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@Townman wrote:

It is an out rage that Plusnet are so hampered by having to use last-year's model hand-me-down routers from big brother.  They do the basics OK, but the can be pigs to do anything more than simples with!

Last year's hand me downs? I note that the BT version was released in 2013. I'm surprised that the bits to make them are not obsolete and hence unobtainable.

Moderator and Customer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. As Baldrick1 has advised we'll be happy to offer you an updated router for the postage fee of £6.99 and on a new contract, potentially making the overall cost of your service cheaper.

If you'd like to go down this route please let me know and I'll be happy to arrange a call back from our sales team.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
borderpath
Dabbler

Hi,

Apologies for delay in responding; having been "snow-bound" for 5 days we're still catching up with ourselves.

Yes, I'd be interested in upgrading to the HubOne router (for £6.99 p&p) obviously depending on details of other contractual terms.

A call-back tomorrow would be good.

Many thanks for your involvement in sorting out the problem.

Kind regards,

Roger  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Roger. I've sent your account details over to our sales team to call you back tomorrow and discuss this further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
borderpath
Dabbler

Unfortunately, still awaiting the call from Sales, so unable to tick the Fixed Problem box as yet.

Regards,

Roger

Baldrick1

I'm afraid that you're going to have to call them. Apart from a very noticeable few, Plusnet don't do proactive.

Moderator and Customer