Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe Surf option

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Safe Surf option

Hi,
      sorry but i have another question, I'm going through My Account area to familiarise my self with it and have come across a Set My Safe Surf option, from what i can gather it seems to be linked to Peer to Peer.
I'm not quite sure what this is but I think its something to do with large file downloads e.g. films and so on.
Am i correct ? and seeing as the only large downloads i do is via the Microsoft update site and so on can I safely disable it or will it be best to leave alone ?
Will it make any difference ?
regards
john
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Safe Surf option

This is mostly aimed at parents with kids - it blocks the p2p apps (emule, bittorrent etc) from running. If you don't use these then you can leave it off or on, it shouldn't make a difference and it won't affect any downloads from microsoft.
Hope that helps,
jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

thanks, Thats what I call quick, I was just looking round the forum before closing down and noticed my question was answered, much appreciated.
regards
jono
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: orbrey
This is mostly aimed at parents with kids - it blocks the p2p apps (emule, bittorrent etc) from running...

But parents shouldn't rely on it - it's trivial to get most P2P apps to use non-standard ports.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

LiamM
Grafter

Yep.  In fact, really, the Safe Surf option is rather disappointing.  This is what it blocks :-
TCP 412 DirectConnect
TCP 1214 Kazaa
TCP 4661 - 4662 eDonkey
UDP 4665 -4666 eDonkey
TCP 5498 - 5501 Hotline
UDP 6257 WinMX
TCP 6699 WinMX
TCP 6346-6347 Gnutella
TCP 6881-6889 BitTorrent
TCP Port 119 Usenet

I have safe surf switched on, yet VMBU is still showing a significant amount of P2P traffic.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I thought safe Surf uses the Ellacoya classifications for P2P/Usenet etc, not just port number blocking.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Peter
I thought safe Surf uses the Ellacoya classifications for P2P/Usenet etc...

Even if it did it won't pick up on a lot of the encrypted P2P traffic - this seems to be classified as a mixture of P2P and "Other".
So far this month 53% of my traffic is described as "Other"  Roll_eyes

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."