cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPEED drop yet again grrr

jojo
Grafter

SPEED drop yet again grrr

Oh here we go again the 72 hour wait. last ticket was around July so had few months of reasonable internet ,  
Question:  Is the face plate classed as internal wiring ??  
reason: as when i get asked to use the test socket which it's already in,  there is nothing i have removed when i use this, I only have my phone and modem in this socket so if theres a problem it would be the face plate which BT put brand new one in on july when they checked my line again... So who's liable for that ..
Makes me wonder if ill be better of with a dongle   Crazy...
Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
16 REPLIES 16
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: SPEED drop yet again grrr

Hi jojo,
When you say you're in the test socket, do you mean the one behind the faceplate of the master socket?
Jojo Smiley
jojo
Grafter

Yes. I got fed up with take this of put that there stick that there, that i pretty much left it in the test socket, and i have restarted modem on several occasion without loss of speed so once was running smooth enough for me to feel safe to put faceplate (brand new fitted by BT) back on. so by doing this had to diconnect which hadnt been a problem prior...  So i get the bog standard email  of 72 hours and on phone call explained whay i had done they say  most prob internal wiring, urm only thing i done different was put faceplate back on  so hence does the faceplate class as being internal wiring.. my phone line is fine.  Just fed up and annoyed and from past tickets which took ages to sort and i was very patient and ended being a BT problem and as far as i was aware if my connection dropped, my line speed wouldnt be adjusted till it was stable..  Hope that gives a clearer picture of what i was trying to say and sorry for the ranting.. 
matt_2k34
Grafter

ranting is good, it helps Smiley
anything connected to the back of the faceplate = an extention = internal wiring.
Turning the router off / unplugging etc. will be seen as a "DROP" by BT. this is bad (because your speed will get dropped, and if you keep doing it -it will get lower and lower - thinking your line isnt stable)
if it was me:
Whack off the faceplate, plug it straight into the test socket, just plug in the router + phone...
leave it like this for 3-5 days (will take a minimum of 3 days for speed to come back)
if you have something on the back of the faceplate, and you dont use any other extensions (but they are there!) they could be adding interference to your line - causing it to drop out.
Hope that helps, but you havent been descriptive as to what you have (so i cant help much) Sad
jojo
Grafter

Only have modem and phone plugged in and nothing else connected as i dont have sky or anything like that . has been in test socket for more than 6 months 😕  only once i put faceplate back on which is brand new  not long after speed dropped thought it was that and took back off and there was no change.. But  you have to do all this 72 hour thing last time it went on for over a month so kind of annoying that going through same speed issues and  have to go through all that again  Sad  so wished they had cable in my area  Undecided
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jojo,
I've been doing some line tests and checking your account. Your sync rate is currently 814k but with attenuation of 75dB I'm surprised you get anything at all. Thinking that can't be right I've had a look through your speed history and see that since May you have had a 1000 profile for 24 days in total. The remaining time it has been either 500 or 750. At the moment it is 500 so unless the sync was to go to 864 or above, that's what it'll stay at. You are on the DLM trial with a fixed 6dB SNR so I'm not sure how else I can help you achieve a better speed. The only thing I can think of is last time you rebooted you did it in the evening or early hours. If that is the case then maybe you could reboot between 10am-2pm as this is deemed to be the time you will get the best sync rate.
Jojo Smiley
matt_2k34
Grafter

wow....75dB... i'm surprised you have a service at all...
the DLM can be fixed at 3db Joanne, however this may cause instability on the line.
10am-2pm is best for getting stability, for speed 3/4 am is usually pretty good for getting the best speed (i'd of expected it to drop) ... Smiley (for a resync)
what router are you using?
Have you tried monitoring the stats? do you get many drop outs (e.g. connection only lasts a few hours)
Although you said you have no problems using the line, have you ran a 'Quiet Line' test ? (Dial 17070, option 2).
Have you replaced any filters ? (what filters are you using)
Sorry this is a "Jumping through the hoops" kind of post, but obviously i cant see the tickets so cant say whats been done etc..
Cable isnt as great as people say :).
Dongles in my experience are okay, however speed tends to suck (worse than 500k that your getting) and there is not much transfer allowance - also latency is painful (takes ages to respond to "clicks" etc)
Regards

*edit* afterthought... if you unplug your landline (so ONLY the router is connected) and cause a resync, does the sync speed increase? im wondering if the phone is causing any interference (is it new/old? dect / analogue?) ty Smiley
jojo
Grafter

Cant  resync otherwise they make me wait another 72 hours from the resync which i found out as ticket was sent in on the 11.12.10 as for the router they sent me a new one  (20.7.10) when this problem happened previously..  Speed were fine when first with PN and was fine recently... all filters router, faceplate are all pretty much new... oh and give me cable or fibre any day being able to listen to a song or watch a video without having to wait for the stream to load... 
matt_2k34
Grafter

jojo can you post some routerstats please.
This will give us an indication on if there is a problem BT-side.
Regards
jojo
Grafter

Hi Matt hope this is what you was asking for and thank you so much for your input  :))
matt_2k34
Grafter

Yep thats what i wanted Smiley
Not great news unfortunately Sad
(a little explaining)...
An attenuation of 75dB is appalling, i don't think even BT will take customers on - on this length of line Smiley
SNR Margin of 9db is not 'standard' - its heightened to give more stability - 6db is 'normal'...
If you could unplug the phone - and refresh that page, im interested to see if:
the SNR margin (right hand side figure) increases at all.
The attenuation figure changes (this might not refresh until a resync occurs, i totally understand you not wanting to keep resyncing - been there done that Smiley )
if possible:
Dial your landline with a mobile if possible, and while the phone is ringing keep refreshing that page - does the SNR dance around?
Does that 'SNR' figure increase early in the morning (e.g. im expecting to it actually being a 12 or 15db SNR, which would mean your losing 'alot more' snr than it appears Smiley
Unfortunately, even though the filter is "new" it doesn't mean its working correctly. (it also doesn't mean its not cheap made in bong-bing junk)
I have a long line.. but its not as long as yours  Shocked - possibly the worst ive ever seen when helping people  Embarrassed
Ill do what i can to offer advice, but as stated before - idk what you've attempted before, so sorry if it feels like your jumping through hoops..
Regards
Force9Original
Grafter

G992.3 is (ADSL2)
I'm surprised the Broadcom speedtouch is even hanging onto  the Huawei (IFTN)
With Line attentuation over 59 on a Huawei DSLAM it would be well worth considering a 2wire 2700 ( BT Business hub) router.
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/2wire_2700_HGV.htm
They can work wonders on longer lines with Huawei's. There always on ebay , often for less than the shipping cost Plusnet charges for  the Speed touch.
matt_2k34
Grafter

F9O
Well spotted! hadnt even seen that...
without knowing the OPs technical ability, i wouldnt recommend going to a 2wire just yet...
lets try and rule out a fault - before we look at what could push the line to its technical limit Smiley
Force9Original
Grafter

A telnet into 992.1 at a more favorable  SNR window might highlight a few options......
jojo
Grafter

without phone plugged in filter...