cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM filters not working so well lately?

Richchad
Rising Star

SPAM filters not working so well lately?

I have been receiving more than usual obvious spam over the last couple of days, has anything been changed with the filters, I regularly report spam via SquirrelMail ?
10 REPLIES 10
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SPAM filters not working so well lately?

I'm finding the inbuilt junk filter in Thunderbird is working better than the Plusnet filters: Linky
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tony_W
Grafter

I agree Richchad.
A good proportion of the extra spam that I am receiving has all of the words in the subject joined together as one long word (no spaces).
As DSPAM concentrates on the subject lines, it might be confused into declaring the spam 'innocent'.
Midville
Grafter

I have notice an increase the last week or so. The normal pills, s*x ads etc.  Embarrassed
Bookman
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I'm finding the inbuilt junk filter in Thunderbird is working better than the Plusnet filters

I haven't been doing the sort of careful monitoring that jelv does but I do find the Thunderbird Junk Mail Controls excellent. I've been using them for ages now and have detected almost no false positives. The training was quick too. For me, there is no point in using the PN spam filters - I would rather have my own close control.
theblisses
Grafter

Once again, the PlusNet spam filte is out of kilter.  Who has been fiddling with it?  Come on PlusNet, I have just signed up for another year through your 6 months offer.  i HOPE HAVE NOT MADE A MISTAKE.
Please make it a priority to fix the large number of junk mails that are arriving in my Outlook junk folder.  This is, of course in addition to the 356 in my Squirrel mail spam folder received during the past week, but the former Outlook ones not caught by the filter.
Can someone from PlusNet say what they believe the problem is?
klyne
Grafter

Just been to look at webmail after 3 days and had to delete 90 obvious SPAM mails from my inbox. When you get this many it is too tedious to go through each mail at report it as SPAM.
David
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I had an odd experience just now. I was downloading to my mailboxes and one flashed up, that I am sure came from the district councillor  I contacted yesterday. It's vamished without trace. How that can happen, when none or my settings are so set, with a .gov.uk sender beats me.
Any yes Thunderbird does spot them better it seems than PN.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That sounds like something that happened after the mail was downloaded to Thunderbird.
Are you sure it hasn't gone into the Junk Mail folder (or another folder set up in Thunderbird's processing rules)?
David
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: spraxyt
That sounds like something that happened after the mail was downloaded to Thunderbird.
Are you sure it hasn't gone into the Junk Mail folder (or another folder set up in Thunderbird's processing rules)?
Certainly not the junk folder. I do not understand thr part of your post that i have made red. All the likley folders  I have have been examined.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Perhaps I should have said "… used in Thunderbird's processing rules".
What I meant was rules like
If To contains Alice move to Alicemail folder
If To contains George move to Georgemail folder
If From contains mycbc.gov.uk move to Council folder
However hopefully you don't have a final line like
If To contains * delete
where * means anything else?
Or a blacklisting list?
Note: these aren't meant to be real Thunderbird rules, I don't use that application.  Just generic examples.
David