cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNRM all over the place, Down ES/Hour was over 1000, upload speeds highly erratic

bin
Aspiring Pro

SNRM all over the place, Down ES/Hour was over 1000, upload speeds highly erratic

It seems that my connection is able to stay stable for about 6 - 7 days before it drops and reconnects.

Each time that happens the speeds and SNR all wrong - usually SNR upload side is between 13 and 2 - SNR down is between 7 and 5.

Resetting the router normally fixes that and it returns to relatively normal. Oddly the download speed is best when SNRM is at 5.0

Today was just another of those days until connection became unstable and dropped a few times. Checked with DSL Stats and ES/Hour was well over 1000 on down side, upstream SNRM was 0 and connection very bad. Down speed was reasonably constant.

As it is right now the ES/Hour count is slowly dropping but all the errors show on the down side.

Upload speed shows 931kbps, down is 6Mb.

13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: SNRM all over the place, Down ES/Hour was over 1000, upload speeds highly erratic

Sorry to hear you're having problems

It looks like your sync speed is below your estimates again

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 19.9 35.5
SNR Margin: 6.4 7.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 0 0
Speed: 931 6055

Since my tests aren't identifying the cause of that, we'd need to arrange another engineer visit to further investigate. I'd recommend getting this reported to us at http://faults.plus.net

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bin
Aspiring Pro

Re: SNRM all over the place, Down ES/Hour was over 1000, upload speeds highly erratic

Thanks Anoush

Ticket opened Monday - not much seems to have happened to it though.

bin
Aspiring Pro

Dropped out twice this morning - took ages to reconnect.

Currently showing:-

Upload at 355kbps - SNRM 6.2
Download at 4291kbps - SNRM 11.9ES/hour 180 odd and dropping

bin
Aspiring Pro

I don't know if anyone has done anything with the fault I raised on MONDAY -  if they have then I've not been advised.

After leaving this for a week and various router reboots I seem - for the time being - to have a reasonable connection again.

Until the next time...........Angry

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi @bin,

The fact that your SNRM is varying might imply the presence of electrical noise.  The target SNRM for your line is likely to be 6dB - that means when the line syncs, it will do so at the best speed which delivers a SNRM of 6dB OVER THE THEN BACKGROUND noise.  There after if the noise reduces the SNRM will rise (7dB) or if the noise increases the SNRM will fall (5dB).

You observation that the speed is best when the SNRM is 5dB somewhat matches the profile of at the time of the resync there was no noise, but at the time you looked there was more noise.  Also note that there is typically a 1dB increase in noise during the hours of darkness due to continental radio interference ... which disappears during the day.  Therefore if your last resynch was during darkness, looking at the SNRM during the day might well report 7dB, whereas if the last resynch was during the hours of day light and you look during the hours of darkness then you'd see something like 5dB.  Therefore the variations you are seeing might not be something to be worried about.

HOWEVER if you are experiencing a lot of disconnections then there could be some other issue in play.  have to you looked at the slow speeds self help topic?  See the link below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bin
Aspiring Pro

Well, the next time arrived as expected.....

Saturday afternoon came home to a message from PN support that they had made some changes to my line to improve things.

This morning checked router and initially dsl stats reported same as yesterday AFTER I had rebooted router

Upload 1240 - 7.n SNRM
Download - 6650 - 6.n SNRM

Cannot recall exact numbers - on test machine with unconfigured dslstats.

This morning (Sunday) as before - seems OK

6.15 connection drops and takes ages to reconnect.

Speeds have dropped again to
Down    Up
4960        352    
Attenuation [dB]:   32.0           19.5            
Margins [dB]:        11.6           7.0

However, what I did notice is that the Interleave value has gone - is that a bad thing?

Tested with corded handset I went out an bought on Friday - line seems quiet so I guess rumbling noise on cordless is down to its own electrics.

Message from engineers said they would call back next week to check.......

bin
Aspiring Pro

Nothing yet - no call, no action.

OK, it works and I'm getting speeds some folks would give their eye teeth for - that I understand.

However, what I'm more concerned about is the deafening silence on the ticket.

Just a little feedback, please?

bin
Aspiring Pro

So, here we are. Ticket opened 14th August - it's 24th today.

Routerstats

Downstream
Noise Margin:  10.9   dB
Bandwidth:     4960   kbps
Attenuation:   32.0   dB
Power:         19.9   dBm

Errors:
   FEC:  0
   CRC:  125
   HEC:  557

Failures since last reset:
   LOF:  1
   LOS:  9
   LPR:  0
   ES :  84

Upstream
Noise Margin:  7.0    dB
Bandwidth:     352    kbps
Attenuation:   19.5   dB
Power:         12.3   dBm

Errors:
   FEC:  3
   CRC:  6
   HEC:  N/A

Now, I'm not one to make a fuss, but it is acknowledged above that this ain't right.

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 11360 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 9088
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 2817
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 4320

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 7.5 to 8.5 Available -- -- -- --

I also admit that I have had an uptime of 4 days - plus an hour or 2 - which for many would be nirvana. Probably if I reboot the router again it will settle back for a day or so, again - then fail, again.

The only reply I have had on the ticket was Saturday 19th
"I tried to call today but there was no answer.
As per my message,
The issue has been identified but it is taking longer than expected to resolve the issue. We are due an update in next 48 hours. We will advise you of the update as soon as we have it which then lead to the resolution of your fault.
I am sorry for the ongoing inconvenience.
"

In the message on the phone he indicated some changes had been made to my connection - which clearly didn't make a lot of difference and now I'm in a sort of limbo.

I have tried bumping it but no response.

Things go wrong - fact of life. When this happens failure to keep your customer informed is the very antitheses of your much promoted "Customer Service", because Service is about communication and that is something that is not exactly forthcoming.

Very poor show PlusNet, very poor show.Sad

.....Just for fun I pulled the microfilter from the test socket and refitted. Line came back as:-

Downstream
Noise Margin:  5.9    dB
Bandwidth:     6439   kbps
Attenuation:   35.5   dB
Power:         19.8   dBm

Errors:
   CRC:  0
   HEC:  0

LOF:  2
   LOS:  17
   ES :  94

Upstream
Noise Margin:  2.9    dB
Bandwidth:     991    kbps
Attenuation:   19.9   dB
Power:         12.2   dBm

Errors:
   CRC:  0

So, that will probably last a day or so - lets wait and see - it lasted about 24 hours last time I tried this.

bin
Aspiring Pro

Well, that certainly didn't last - shortly after everything nose dived - SNRM on Tx was down to 0.1db at one point.

Fluctuated rest of day, and this morning was still wobbly with at least one re-set.

Up/down has settled

Downstream
Noise Margin:  7.9    dB
Bandwidth:     6007   kbps
Attenuation:   35.5   dB
Power:         19.8   dBm

Errors:
   CRC:  2302
   HEC:  21305

LOF:  21
   LOS:  141
   ES :  1233

Upstream
Noise Margin:  6.0    dB
Bandwidth:     811    kbps
Attenuation:   20.0   dB
Power:         12.4   dBm

Errors:
   CRC:  748

Always seems to be worst in the morning and calms down during the day.

Not sure why I'm bothering to record this since it doesn't make a blind bit of difference in actually getting PN to sort out this wobbly connection. Maybe I should just be grateful and shut up....or perhaps hope they may respond to the support ticket?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like an engineer went out yesterday. Testing your line I'm seeing your speed still below the estimated range so I've sent the fault back to our suppliers to further investigate. It's likely we may need to arrange another engineer visit. Sad

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bin
Aspiring Pro

Hi Anoush

Yes - it was the same guy who has been out before.

When he left we were back at 6994/1090 - then dropped to where we are some time overnight.

From his point of view the line checks out fine - no errors, everything is good.

The simple fact is that it may well be at that moment - but then it can just wobble off again. Regularly down to 49xx just depends on what mood it is in. Sometimes simply pulling and replacing the RJ11 into the router is enough to force it it reconnect at a better rate, or it can be worse.

My question is this, given the number of times we have gone round this loop what is likely to be the benefit if the same guy coming out again and doing the same thing and going away again - with what is obviously going to be the same result?

Moving on from that, what do you suggest is the next step?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've raised an escalation again with BTwholesale.

Our faults team will be in touch with you once we have more info.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bin
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that - I had a message from the support team (sadly mobile signal made it a bit of a verbal jigsaw but I got the drift).

Whether it is related I don't know but at around 4am today the connection was re-set and currently shows 7015/1093 kbps 6.1/7.5 dB