Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR reset request

JonnyF
Grafter

Re: SNR reset request

http://dmt.mhilfe.de/
This one?
Looks pretty interesting - I have a Linksys WAG354G router, doesnt seem to be on the list, do you know if its supported or not?
I'm thinking you need a unix based OS router like the Linksys WAG54GS etc?
Jon.
James
Grafter

In all honesty I'm not sure.  I've just seen it discussed on a few different forums (mainly dslzone), but it does sound rather useful if it works with your kit.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yup,
That's the one.
I used it to drive my noise margin down when it was locked at 15dB and now that it is unlocked and sitting at 12dB I use it to get my synch rate at a stable value regardless of the time of day and noise margin. These are my current stats
Uptime: 5 days, 4:19:08
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,776
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 59.84 / 281.84
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 51.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.0 / 10.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / µ
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 16 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 38,071 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 852 / 103,167
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 22 / 1,120
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 14 / 1,008
I also use ADSLMonitor to watch what is happening
JonnyF
Grafter

Ok, so I've managed to get hold of a Linksys WAG54GS (father in laws!!).
This is on the list for DMT Tool, i seem to be able to connect and it gives me a couple of pretty graphs with regards SNR etc....
Question is, and I suppose it's to Jim!? How do I change the SNR using this tool!!
Grin
Your help is much appreaciated!
Cheers,
Jon.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have a look at the first picture where i have clicked on "modemoptions"
You will see that "modify" is unticked
If you just want to play with the slider then leave that alone. Just click on DSL Resynch after moving it.
However if you want to be a bit more scientific you can click on "modify" and then put a new number in value 00 and click on "apply/resynch"
The number is based on hex values so allowable numbers and equivalent noise margin are as here On my router clicking on "set/save default instructs the router to change the default noise margin but to make it stick after a power failure I need to telnet in an use the command "saveall" but that is probably specific to the Speedtouch.
Edited to sort out pictures
JonnyF
Grafter

Well, this is really odd...
Ive borrowed another router so I could mess with DMT - I know there are no issues with it as it works fine at my father in laws house. (WAG54G)
At my house BT have coincidentally just changed my target SNR before I had chance to do anything.
So, I'm syncing at 7584/9.1db at the moment.
However, my line will not stay up for more than a couple of minutes.
I've never had this sort of problem in all the time Ive had DSL at this address.
Problem is, I left my router WAG354G at the father in laws so as not to leave them without brodband.
Basically I dont know if the fault is with the line or the router.
The db values seem fine, so Im at a loss as to why my line wont stay synced atm. (i will try the normal router tommorow)
But in the mean time, any ideas? P.S. every time the router re syncs, its always around 7500 - so I dont think its a training issue.
Cheers,
Jon.
Be3G
Grafter

Hmm. I smell a rat. I have a WAG54GS, and it has also recently been having real trouble holding on to the line's synch; it would go through periods of anything up to 15 minutes where it would synch then drop it again a few seconds later, over and over until it finally synched and stayed synched. I assumed it was a broadband fault and was planning on raising it as such in the next couple of days, but your post has made me wonder whether or not it's an ADSL fault after all.
JonnyF
Grafter

Well I dont know whats gone on / going on. But I just left the router for a few hours and it was syncing at just over 2mb!!
This has NEVER ever happened on this line before.. never have I synced less than 6500mb at any point since I was DSLMAX - and the norm for me is 8128/448 FAST with about a 8db margin.
Ive just moved the router downstairs to the master socket and it doesnt seem to have made any difference.
Whats worse is that bt seem to have adjusted my profile now to 2mb! so Im on super slow BB now (well in my experience!)
Think I'm gonna unplug the router now and just plug my old one back in tommorrow.... very strange things are afoot thats for sure.....
Onwards and downwards....
Jon.
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
The 2MB profile is due to the numerous sync drops experienced last night, this is expected on MaxDSL, as the speed is reduced to increase the stability.
What is your current sync speed?
JonnyF
Grafter

James / Mand,
Hello again.
I'm back on my original router now and will see how things go for a while.
The problem now is that I have no idea how my line is configured.
I'm not syncing at my normal rate of 8128/448 although its not too bad at around 7500, but it still suggests I'm not at the 6db target (the only thing is, this could now be because of the problems I had with the router yesterday!)
Worse still I'm only getting 1900 throughput - again probably due to the problems yesterday.
What can we do to get me back to 8128/448 and my usual 8000 throughput!!
Sorry for the hassle, wish I'd never swapped the router now to have a play with that DMT Tool!!
Cheers,
Jon.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Have you switched back to the router that you were using before yesterday?  If so, what is the noise margin level you are now seeing?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just performed a quick test on your line and the snr is currently at 9db, the request/fault is still with them to reset it back to 6 so hopefully this should happen soon.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JonnyF
Grafter

Mand,
Thanks for the reply.
Just so you know - the router I was using last night seems to have caused all the problems - I never usually have any issues what so ever and only wanted my target SNR reseting back to 6db originally.....
My routers syncing at 7488/448 @9db to be precise.
Not sure why I'm not getting the full 8128/448 - I always have done.... just a little confused now to be honest!!
Jon.
James
Grafter

Hi Jon,
The fact that your noise margin is now 9dB doesn't necessarily seem to be a bad thing.  I'd try a few reboots and see if your line stats change at all.
JonnyF
Grafter

James / Chris.
You may have gathered now, but yes I'm on the original router now and so far so good - well from the point of view that my line is stable now. With the other router I never did get a stable line all night.
To clarify im using the Linksys WAG354G now
The problematic router was the Linksys WAG54GS.
The odd thing is that its now back at my father in laws house syncing 100% stable on his broadband!?
Maybe there is an issue with certain DSLAMS with that router?
Also, its funny that Im at 9db. Prior to yesterday I was at 12db.
Can BT set the SNR target at 9db, I'm wondering if thats what they have done - in which case they need to set it again to 6db.... not sure...
Jon.