Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR reset request

skib10
Grafter

SNR reset request

hi,
I've already put a ticket through asking for a SNR reset but got a copy and paste response which didn't make much sense, and the answer was pretty much "no wait for it to go back down by itself". I had to turn the power off a few times recently as we were doing work to the house and i think it's caused my margin to get a little screwed up resulting in it going up to 9.0(down) when it was always hovering between 3.0 and 4.5. Following this it's caused my ip profile to sit at around 14.8mb when it was always 17mb - 18mb.
I'm wondering if i could get one of the plusnet staff to have it reset back to where it was, as i'm only getting speeds of around 11-12mb at the moment when it should be 15mb+. You can see on my previous posts where my margins were when i've posted router logs.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: SNR reset request

HI skib10,
Are you aware of what might have caused these drops? The speed drop and the SNR increase doesn't quite match, but you can see where the initialisations occurred in relation to the SNR increase. What router are you using at the moment? Have you changed it during this time? It may be worth resyncing during daylight hours to see if you can improve on what you're getting. I wouldn't like to SNR reset as there's something going on there.

skib10
Grafter

Hi Jo,
I'm not really sure what has caused this as i've changed nothing lately. The router has been connected to the same socket, same filters etc. I don't hear any noise on my phone line either so i don't understand why my margin is currently at 9.0. If you can see the notes on my account you will see i had some issues with the connection dropping back in late april ish but that has seemed to have cleared up as i haven't had issues like that since. I also had my phone provider run a line test back then and it came back clear with no faults on the line.
Well when my connection was online for 6 days my SNR was fine and so was the speed. I was quite shocked at how long that connection held up as normally it resets itself after 1-2 days online. The increased SNR only happened once the connection for the 6day period dropped and its been like it since. Im currently using a new router that was sent to me in early may (Technicolor TG582n) I've had no issues with it and my SNR and my line speed was fine up till this Saturday just gone. By resyncing you mean to power down the router for a period of time? or what do you mean by that?
I'm not getting connection issues or nothing like that it just seems a little odd why its suddenly happened.
thanks.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi skib10,
Can you tell me if you're using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket you can plug into?
By resyncing I mean turn your router off and on again ( a bit like the IT crowd Wink )
Jojo Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Or whilst you are messing around, if you change anything or want to resync
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here. Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
You can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.