Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR check

XenoGuy
Grafter

Re: SNR check

Quote from: aesmith
The test socket is on the back of the normal BT master socket, if you have your own telephone line then you should have this, surely?

Old type
http://i.imgur.com/hhfsXbV.jpg
XenoGuy
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
What do you mean by "your stuff in the second filter"?

Telephone/Fax/PC Modem into 2nd filter, which plugs into 1st filter with router, which plugs into the bt socket
cedlor
Grafter

Wow  - yes it is a master socket - ideally it and the wiring (looks non twisted pair)  needs replacing-= used to be ok for a phone line but not good for broadband.
Pity there was not lots of noise on the phone an engineer would maybe have replaced it.
First thing to try as previously said would be one filter and router only and see if it improves.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think it's good you don't need a phone fault - in my experience, Openreach don't replace old master sockets or bad wiring for voice faults. And why would they - as you said yourself, it's OK for a phone.
I would have thought an engineer sent to fix a slow broadband fault would replace it, BUT your speed may not be slow enough for it to be accepted as a slow speed fault. This is probably where it would help to be a new customer not getting your estimated speed.