Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Reset needed?? -- update

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

SNR Reset needed?? -- update

The inlaws told me their broadband was very very slow.  
I have been meaning to go and sort their wiring out for a while now, to recap their setup was, incoming line to a green rectangular box, stamped with GPO, feeding 1 LJU Master and 1 extension. From the upstairs extension a flat cheapie phone extension running to the router.  Inside both sockets there was Blue/White to 2 and 5, and Orange/White to 3 and 4.  I have disconnected 3 and 4 in both sockets, removed the flat extension, and moved the router next to the Master socket, and connected to the PC upstairs now via homeplugs, and 1 good quality filter in the master socket.  Line attenuation dropped to 48.5 from 50dB.  
Stats are unchanged though from when I started.
Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:35
Modulation: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 239
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 3,00 / 2,00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,5 / 0,0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29,0 / 48,5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,0 / 32,5
They have said they consistently switch the router on and off.  I have re-educated them on this.....  I presume they are either banded or the DLM has thought their line is really rubbish...  Anyhow, no noise on the phoneline at all, so I suspect all is needed, is an SNR reset.  Can a member of the DCT please action this for me as soon as you can.
I was a bit surprised they are not on ADSL2+, rather then 2.  Also would it be possible to uncap the upload as well?
Is there anything else I should be doing????
Thanks
Forgot to mention, they are using quite an old router, a speedtouch 585V6.  I was going to get them one of the technicolour ones, from Plusnet.  I got one myself, after my netgear died, really as a stopgap, until I got another netgear, but it has performed so well I havnt bothered yet 🙂
54 REPLIES 54
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Re: SNR Reset needed??

Ordered a new router for them, and changed their package, to the current offerings.
If DCT can do an SNR reset that would be great
Cheers
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try ringing in. Some of the agents can do SNR resets and if you explain about the issues with the internal wiring and what you've done they should be happy to do so. Last time I rang in for this it had completed within a few minutes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

When i rang in the other month for a SNR reset , i was told by tech support they could not do this and a problem would need to be raised to faults for an SNR reset (possible 72 hr wait) , came on here and Chris Pettitt did it with in a few minutes Smiley
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi penfold,
That's been placed for you, give it upto 4 hours and hopefully you'll see a difference Smiley
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hi chris. Thanks for that, but its not my line its needed on ;). I have pmd you the details.. can you cancel the one for mine. If not, i cant see it being a big issue....
penfold
Aspiring Pro

To be honest, its improved my line anyway.  The dlm has always insisted on putting me on a 3db margin, even though it takes a week or so for my line to stabalise at this, usually at a sync of low 7000s, on a 44.5 attn. Now its just under 8000 with a margin of 6db, so thanks anyway
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Perhaps you need to reboot daily just to trick it in to thinking the line isn't totally stable and prevent it trying the 3dB again?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Jelv...
The line can be exceptionally stable at 6dB, so the 21CN DLM drops it to 3dB.  This actually introduced more instability, with resyncs once every 2-3days.  not sure the DLM does not pick this up, and move things back to 6dB....  IIRC there was a trial that allowed you to fix the SNR, in effect taking DLM out of the equation.  Unsure as to what happened to it, unless BT decided not to further the idea.  I would be interested if there was some way to fix the target SNR, and stop the DLM dropping it.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Penfold,
I've got your PM and placed the reset.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks chris, appreciate that. Hopefully that will sort things out, and the plusnet profile wont take to long to catch up Crazy
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's all matching now Smiley
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Chris
Hes well pleased, internet now speedy again.  Hes promised not to keep switching off the router.  Hopefully might get a bit better once the new router is on.  Could this be the cause of him syncing with ADSL2, not ADSL2+ ?Huh
Did you uncap his upload as well.... It would be useful if you could post up his line profile, with his distance from the exchange, and the fact he dosnt need really low pings, I would presume interleaving is on.  I cant get up there for a few days, and asking him to get his line stats is difficult, hes a complete luddite with that kind of thing....  Could you get me his line stats as well  Wink Wink  If not its no biggie.
Again many many thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
                                                  Upstream      Downstream
Loop Loss:                            29.3                48.5 
SNR Margin:                          6.0                    6.3 
Speed:                                    1000                4703 
A new router may help slightly although the line is already very close to it's estimate.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok. We will see what thenew router does, and see if it goes to adsl2+ . Hes not that far from the exchange really about 2 miles by road.