Did you mean: 

SNR Reset and long dodgy rural lines

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: SNR Reset and long dodgy rural lines

Hi Uncle_Meat,
Any updates to report?  has your download speed improved any - that is are the PN & BT profiles now correct for the 2700 synch speed?  (Circa 2.3Mbps).
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ello Townman.
Nope, my BT profile is (well, last time I checked on Wedesday morning) still at 1Mb, albeit with the line seemingly stable for over 7 days I think it was at the time.

To be fair, I've given up.  As my previous posts, I can't seem to get any kind of answer from either the line provider or PN as to what BTO have got planned and without that I don't want to risk the potential for up to a £150 charge for a needless visit.
1Mb is still better than nowt, and I've been so busy I've not had to use the internet that much at home anyway and besides, if I do have any large downloads to make it's quicker to drive the 3 miles or so into work where I have a nice solid 8Mb line, save it to an external HDD and take it back home again.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Uncle_Meat,
Sorry to hear that this is still ongoing and sorry to see that there hasn't been an update from us on the thread in a while.
As per the image attached below, the inconsistency is still showing when we run the faults diagnostics so it doesn't seem to have cleared by itself which is a possibility. We're still open to raising this and getting an engineer out for you if you change your mind about it. Just drop me a PM if you do and I'll pick this up for you  Wink
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Surely that result is just stating that there is a discrepancy between the BRAS profile and actual sync speed? 
Does that identify any reasoning behind that besides that of a stuck bras profile?

As before, the main problem I have is that BTO are a secret to themselves.  After the line pair was switched which has brought about my recent periods of stability, the engineer did promise that they'll be out again as a priority to finish the job off with new wiring and a new master socket. 
Trying to find out actually when this is going to happen is the problem as the last thing I want to happen is to book an engineer, only for the other engineer to have been out in the meantime, therefore causing a "no fault found, pay us money please" situation. Seeing as the engineer who did the line swap had no knowledge of a previous engineer visit a week or so previous makes me think that this is entirely likely to happen as for a communications company, they don't seem to communicate with each other... Cheesy
As before though. It's been nice and stable since then, and if I have to settle for 1Mb in order to save a load of faffing about so be it!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

With the fault check I just ran we can see that you aren't being banded (although interleaving is on and set to low) and the DLM is holding steady at 2246 which means you should be looking at obtaining a speed just north of 1900.
It seems that the inconsistency issue with the BRAS and DSLAM will no doubt be holding the profile at the 1mbps speeds you're seeing and ideally we need to get this to match up so you can get the speed you should be however this will no doubt require an engineer attending so as you mention, this could carry the possibility of the cost to yourself albeit highly unlikely.
If you're happy for me to see what I can get booked then just let me know and I'll jump on it and see what we can arrange.
As for the additional engineer that was mentioned at the end of the initial visit, I'm unsure on whether this is something that will go ahead if this hasn't already at this point. I certainly can't see a booking in the suppliers system so this could be another aspect that we need to look at pushing back to them on. The replacement of the drop wire and master socket could well yield further improvement so I would think it was worth investigating with them further as well.
Either way I would say another faults visit could well help and we never know, he could well fix the stuck profile and replace the drop wire/socket while he's out.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ta for that!
I'll have a word with my landlord tonight, see if he's heart owt else from the line provider in the meantime, or maybe phone them first and ask what happened to our "standardisation" with the drop and master as was promised by the last engineer.

The part that puzzles me though.. If the line is holding steady as it seems to have been doing so over the last few weeks at least, what kind of fault would they expect to find on a house visit?
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We would have to call this out as a specific error with the inconsistency when we come to raise the fault and hope that it gets picked up on by the engineer when he attends the appointment. Ideally there should then be a process for them to manually sync up the two profiles and this should then release the speeds and we would see it jump up to match the actual sync rate.
Either way, let us know how you get on with the landlord and we'll see what we can arrange, it may well be beneficial to get that work done before we raise this as a broadband fault as you could end up with even better speeds once the drop wire and socket have been replaced.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Adam
Sorry for the continued issues with the speed Uncle_Meat, I was hoping that this would shift of its own accord but upon further inspection (and a little digging) it seems that the BRAS and DSLAM profiles are misaligned. Normally we have to raise a fault for this and wait the 48-72 hours but we managed to sweet talk one of the BTW agents into giving it a ...

Adam,
Is the current situation the same as it was a few weeks ago when you pulled strings with btw agents?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Holy threat resurrection Batman!
Afternoon all.
Just a request to see if sticky BT IP profile can be unstuck now the line has proven itself to be basically stable for a couple of months now.
We finally had the pole replaced outside btw, the electric came out and have done all that, the phone has been nice and quiet and apart from a couple of brief power cuts, last one this morning, my ADSL connection has been nice and happy, albeit with being limited to just 1Mb..
Another thing I've noticed is that I appear to have a target SNR of 3db. Not that this is a problem, it is basically reliable as above but I always thought the default was 6db?
Currently synced at 2411kbps, Attn 66db, SNR 1.5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Holy resurrection indeed!  I had been wondering what happened with you.
SNRM of 3dB indicates that the line must be doing well. Can you post your full stats please?
Kevin

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ello Townman.  Been mad busy lately, not even much time to play internets lately.  Well, I have at friends house, who has just had Virgin 100Mb fitted. 
Wow.  Just.. Wow.. 
I purposely nipped down there last week with my external HDD in tow so I can download a bunch of Raspi Pi stuff.  What would have took me days and nights to download at home was all done in about half an hour.
Anyway, stats as they stand at the moment, 5 hours of uptime after the leccy going off this morning.

Noise Margin:    1.4  dB
Connection Rate:  2411  Kbps
Line Attenuation: 66.0  dB
Power:            0.0  dBm
Max Rate:        2964  Kbps

SuperFrames:      1051926
SF (CRC) Errors:  12607
Reed Solomon:    0
RS Corrected:    0
RS Un-Corrected:  0
HEC:              5745
Errored Seconds:  2966
Severe ES:        1
Interleave Depth: 1
Bitswaps:        514
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Yeah your bRAS needs updating. I'll let one of the CRT know about this and see if we can get our suppliers to manually shift this up for you - hopefully tomorrow!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all!
@Uncle_Meat
Just picking this up now, I've raised a fault and I'm having a chat with our suppliers now to get the bRAS updated.
Update: Done, you should hopefully see some improvement over the next hour or so.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team