SNR Reset and long dodgy rural lines

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Re: SNR Reset and long dodgy rural lines

Cheers for that Chris. I'll await the outcome with interest. Smiley
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Morning all. Same old story, albeit with the weather being drier and a little less windy than of late, things appear to be a touch better. I've not had to manually take the phone off hook in order to keep things connected since yesterday.
I did try to get a 24 hour graph on routerstats, alas my laptop rebooted itself earlier this morning so I lost it. But, here's one from the last few hours. See if you can guess the time we had an incoming phone call..  Smiley
If any of you support bods are bored whilst drinking your morning cuppa and dunking your hob nobs, any chance of an update on  #85577208 please?
Cheers ears!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your Fault Ticket is due to be picked up today by our Faults Team.
No hobnobs here Sad
I'll be keeping an eye on your Fault Ticket though!
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

No hobnobs?  Wilful neglect by management in the workplace if you ask me.
Ta again for that, I'll keep my eyes open for the update. Smiley
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Morning all.  Any progress on #85577208 please?
Last I heard it was being referred to BT so I realise it's out of your hands a bit at the moment. Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Our Faults Team will be back to you today with an update - these type of faults can be a little tricky 😕
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ta for that.
Is there anything more I can do from my side of things, apart from the graphs and whatnot that I've posted in this thread, that might help pin things down?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I think you've done as much as you can really, however, if you have more graphs that might help, then absolutely feel free to post them up.
The Faults Team will probably give you a ring to discuss things with you as well.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Keep the graphs going and handy to explain to BTOR what is happening.  You've done a great job in helping yourself / PN profile the issue, now the right BTOR resource needs to be assigned to fix the issue, which might not be straight forward due to the way BTOR works.  POTS engineers attend to / fix line faults, broadband engineers fix ADSL (etc.) faults.
If the line is quiet, then a POTS engineer might not find an issue or consider that there is one to be found.
Conversely given that the phone will be taken off hook (thereby restoring the SNRM) during an ordinary broadband engineer visit they too might not find a fault to rectify.
Intermittent faults are hard to locate; location is key to fixing!  Let's hope PN can get a SFI engineer on to this job.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ta again Chris, I'll look forward to it.
@Townman
Ta for that!  That is my worry, that BTOR will come out, take the phone off hook as part of their testing/fiddling process and everything will settle down for a while,
I'm still a bit suspicious of the wiring here, the junction box where the line comes in is rather minty and has been here for at least 30 years so the landlord tells me. I'm reluctant to give it a clean myself in case BT come out, spot a suspiciously clean and polished pair of terminals and refuse to do owt else as the line will then be judged to have been tampered with at BT's side of things.
I've tried poking and prodding the wires in this junction box whilst listening to an off-hook cordless phone and not heard any noticeable pops or crackles on the line, so maybe it's OK but still...
Certainly something to consider if they do come out, see if they can renew the wiring from the drop onwards and fit a proper NTE5.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fitting a proper NTE5 and dropping the bell wire to extensions could make a world of difference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Yup! I suspect the main problem is elsewhere mind, as before in this thread it's never been the fastest connection at 2Mbps but prior to some line being repaired outside last December it's always been stable and reliable in all but the worst weather but, as you say, getting the internal wiring replaced may well help in making a slow but usually stable connection just that little bit faster and more reliable. Smiley
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Engineer visit booked for next Wednesday.  Yay!

Out of interest, will the engineer have any of the above info in his notes or would I be best having it all handy to bore him with when he turns up?  Also, as I never realised there are different tiers of engineers (tiers of engineers. Sounds like a Joy Division song...) do you know what type I'll be getting?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Uncle_Meat,
Knowledge is power, so gather your knowledge and keep on gathering it.  IIRC you're the guy with the HAM radio rig - can you tune in to 612kHz?  See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm - looking at your graphs not only do you have a degrading SNRM it looks like you have a modulation on the back ground SNRM which might require further investigation when the degrading decay is rectified.
If you get a plain old POTS engineer, you might bore them a little.
If you get a standard BB engineer they'll know not to fob you off.
If you get SFI then I suspect they'll be quite interested.

Kevin

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Haha, yep. I've got some LF gear here, I was thinking of winding a small DF loop to see if I can isolate anything in that spectrum.  As for 612khz though, any idea why this is chosen as an arbitary "noise" frequency? 
Looking at my tone chart elsewhere in this thread, I think I max out at tone 140 or so on that particular plot which would indicate an upper frequency of 605khz so possibly any sproggies at 612khz may not even come into it?
All good fun anyway, and it'll give me something to play with later tonight. Plan is to graph some more SNR, play with taking the phone off hook a little more and monitor CRCs along with one of my HF sets attached to the outside dipole ant sweeping LF > 1Mhz, see if I can associate that with any bursts of noise sub 1Mhz
I'm actually looking forward to it. I need to get out more. Cheesy