Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMPT problems using Outlook 2003

chrisco
Grafter

Re: SMPT problems using Outlook 2003

Quote from: jelv
Have you tried with all spyware/firewall/anti-virus disabled?

I don't get this at all. Ok it was ( I think) Spyware Terminator updater that was causing my problem but I haven't changed anything & have been running that programme for about 18 months without a problem. It still does its auto updates but email has been fine ever since.
JudyB

Quote from: JudyB
Quote from: jelv
Have you tried with all spyware/firewall/anti-virus disabled?

Yes, I just tried that and got the same behaviour.

OK, after more investigation here, it seems that Norton is the culprit. For the record, with Norton Antivirus 2009, clicking "Disable AntiVirus Auto-Protect" doesn't turn off everything. In particular it obviously does NOT disable the email scanning.
After specifically turning off the email scanning I can successfully telnet and send/receive email.
My guess is that an update sometime yesterday to Norton succeeded in blocking all email >:(.
Since I know that NAV email scanning will catch infected emails (if PlusNet misses them for any reason) I prefer to have this on, so it looks like my next port of call is the Norton support website...
Thanks for your help in diagnosing this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this thread is getting horribly mixed up, two or more people answer the same question for who?