cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY on demand no good with PlusNet?

ardlui

SKY on demand no good with PlusNet?

I have been trying to get a SKY on Demand wireless connector box to recognise and connect to my Thomson 582N router. Total failure!
The Sky help folk have tried everything and suggest it might be different security systems that wont talk to each other?
Plusnet router is WPA whereas SKy connector is WBP.
Does this make sense and can my router security be changed to WPA?
12 REPLIES 12
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: SKY on demand no good with PlusNet?

Hi
i'm pretty sure my in-laws have it set up against a Plusnet 582N router without a problem.  There 250 miles away though and I'm not visiting till the end of October, so can't check for you.
Are you sure you are right with WBP?  I've never heard of that one, and a google doesn't seem to bring up anything usefull.
Thanks
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ardlui

Pretty sure the SKY help guy said WBP but I may have misheard him (long way away is India!!!).
xxandy77xx
Grafter

Hi ardlui,
I have just recently joined plusnet and thats one thing i hadnt tried yet was my on demand anyway i have just tried to set it up  and has  set up no problems  also using the Thomson 582N router.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

It probably doesn't help but my "On Demand" box works fine with my Asus router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Pretty sure the SKY help guy said WBP
It wasn't WEP by any chance was it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ardlui

Could easily have been. Is there a solution?
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

use an ether net cable from the router to the skybox
the wifi is more hasstle than its worth anyway not to mention slower...
and yes wep is far less secure than wpa-psk there also not able ot communicate, wep is an old standard that got phased out by most reputable manufacturers some time ago, a lot of newer devices are no longer compatible with it
if your dead set on using wifi, then your only option is to change the encryption to wep (if its still an option) or turn it off (open access wifi with zero security)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I can't believe that the Sky adapter only supports WEP, that's awful!.
Here's the details on changing the TG582n wifi settings http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-wireless.shtml
Try WPA only and see if that helps, if not then try WEP as nanotm suggests.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

if wires would be a problem between the router and the skybox then you can still do it wired with homeplugs, and if you get a passthrough variant then you can also plug the skybox into the same power socket through the back of the homeplug Smiley
anything is better than lowering the encryption standard and making your wifi easier to access
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
avatastic
Grafter

Don't switch to WEP encryption. That gives you as much protection as a woolly hat in a hurricane!
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
anniesboy
Rising Star

It could well be worthwhile going onto Sky user forum,there is a section for Sky Demand.
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/
You will most likely have register in order to ask a question.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've got one connected to my router (an older Thompson TG585v7) which is using the WPA+WPA2 encryption setting and it is working fine.
Can't see it being that.
On the Sky box network page is it connecting the router at all? is it getting an IP address? What do the Local Connection and Service Connection value say?
Also (this threw me too), if it is getting an address, you need to do the following, as this isn't set by default:
Here’s what Sky has missed out in its On Demand setup and activation instructions.

How to activate Sky On Demand

You need to use your Sky remote control to go to Options at the top of the TV guide.

Then go to Customise, and switch on Broadband Network Connection.

Sky leaves this as Off in its default settings for some reason, and this is what confuses most people trying to set up Sky On Demand.