Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIP Business Business £35/month

Stef
Grafter

SIP Business Business £35/month

Hi,
I am a PN fan - we have about eight PN Broadband accounts (I work for a charity). I am about to embark on the world of SIP thinking, in the first instance, of upgrading our London Office to the "Business/Business" £35/month account (Presumanbly thats an 'upto' 800Kup/8Mdown MAX product?)
I suppose my questions are:
1/ How likely am I to get a faster upload speed in Central London (Currently on an old non-max PN Business product 256K/up 2M/down)
2/ Am I really likely to get 800k/up? - How could I improve the chances of getting 800k/up
2/ Will I be foolhardy if I go with PN because you use traffic shaping? - The people in Usenet Voip space seem to be suspicious of Traffic shaping when it comes to SIP?
They seem keener on other ISP's who (apparently?) don't use it.
Any thoughts much appreciated, especially from anyone who is already doing it!
(I am unlikely to have more than three concurrent SIP sessions)
Many thanks,
Stef
2 REPLIES 2
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: SIP Business Business £35/month

Quote from: Stef
Hi,
I am a PN fan - we have about eight PN Broadband accounts (I work for a charity). I am about to embark on the world of SIP thinking, in the first instance, of upgrading our London Office to the "Business/Business" £35/month account (Presumanbly thats an 'upto' 800Kup/8Mdown MAX product?)

Yes it is.
I suppose my questions are:
1/ How likely am I to get a faster upload speed in Central London (Currently on an old non-max PN Business product 256K/up 2M/down)

How far are you from your local exchange?
2/ Am I really likely to get 800k/up? - How could I improve the chances of getting 800k/up

If you can get a decent download speed then you'll probably get a pretty high upload too. Here's a speedtest I've just done:

And here are my (not so good) line stats. I'm 2.32km from my exchange as the crow flies.

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 5568 Kbps 832 Kbps
Noise Margin 6.3 dB         9.0 dB
Line Attenuation 44.0 dB 26.0 dB
Output Power 19.5 dBm 11.9 dBm

2/ Will I be foolhardy if I go with PN because you use traffic shaping? - The people in Usenet Voip space seem to be suspicious of Traffic shaping when it comes to SIP?
They seem keener on other ISP's who (apparently?) don't use it.

Not at all! SIP traffic has the highest priority across our network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Stef
Grafter

Re: SIP Business Business £35/month

Quote from: Bob

How far are you from your local exchange?

Don't know as we haven't chosen the office yet  Wink
BUT I have just noted that I am 990m from my home exchange (And I ordered a MAX boost last week)...
Could be sweet...  Cool