Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDSL - changing provider

john32
Grafter

SDSL - changing provider

Hello All
Does anyone know if a process is available to move SDSL between ISP's, ie from XXX to PlusNet? if so could you point me in the direction of some information.
Thanks
John
(Ex itcconcepts from MN forum)
6 REPLIES 6
Liam
Grafter

Re: SDSL - changing provider

Funny you raise this actually. I've been looking into it just yesterday for a customer moving in to PlusNet.
Unfortunately, BT don't have a set process for moving between providers.  There is no migration path, or MAC key, as there is with ADSL.  I don't think the uptake of SDSL has been as high at BT Wholesale expected, so they've not done the work to put in a migration path.
If you do not wish to incur any downtime, the best way of pursuing a move is to order SDSL with the new provider, get it installed - and schedule the cancellation of the old SDSL line (with the old provider) for after the install date of the new line - if that makes any sense!
When you order SDSL, the installation charge includes a BT engineer visit who will come and install a dedicated SDSL line to your premesis.  So for the overlap period, you may have two SDSL lines coming in.
Hope that helps a bit!
john32
Grafter

Laim
Thanks for the information - although it is not the news I wanted to hear  Sad Although the transfer to PN is still financially viable the saving is small.
Is PlusNet SDSL product BT's standard 10:1 offering? are there any download limits imposed?
As all our remote sites connect via MN ADSL services would I be safe is assuming better performance as our VPN traffic would all be carried over PN's network?
Thanks
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Yep, our SDSL service is the standard BT 10:1 SDSL service. Like our business ADSL accounts there's no set usage limits on SDSL. We do keep an eye on business usage and generally the only action we take is to speak to anyone whose usage is excessive to see what they are doing. Often the customers are greatful for the call because they are unaware of the traffic (e.g. it's a virus or something else set up they didn't realise).
I would have thought the VPN performance would be very good, it will all get prioritised as gold on our network and of course the traffic will always be within our network so no strange routing via New York or Amsterdam.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
john32
Grafter

Thanks Dave
Having gone through the figures again I think we are going to stay with our current provuser.
The cost saving/other benefits don't outweigh the time to change over.
Oh well
astarsolutions
Grafter

SDSL is something I have been looking at but never quite worked out what the appeal is, the basic 512Kb package seems worse than a normal ADSL link and the 1Mb connection is only marginally better yet the costs are huge.
From someone who does use it do the costs warrant the increases upload bandwidth or is there another reason you use it?
john32
Grafter

I look at SDSL as a cheap leased line rather than an expensive ADSL service.
We have had a 1MB service for 2 years now and it has performed faultlessly.
Although it is still contended we seem to get 1MB all the time, with approx 10 remote sites and 30 remote users it is perfect.