cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumour about Customer Support

Not applicable

Re: Rumour about Customer Support

Personally, as long as the answer is the correct one for my query, I'd choose whichever can help me first. The quality of support via SA remains to be seen, but the Sheffield centre isn't without fault.
So long as quality doesn't suffer, I'm comfortable with the move.
If it deteriorates for some reason, my thoughts will obviously change.
techguy
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Quote from: techguy

The way I see it, I have bought into the company and its people for what it is rather than just because its a net connection.
Due to what I do for a living I tend to look a little deeper into an ISP (price did play a factor but I also looked at things such as the network info which influenced my decision to sign up)
While the point about Durban and Sheffield working closely is noted, the chances are that Durban is run by a contractor, not by plusnet and the good folks in sheffield built and operate their network on a daily basis so are far more likely to quickly pick up on a problem than a contracted call centre person who is reading from a script or having to have the customer hold while they consult with sheffield.
You buy net access from waitrose, you deserve what you get as you haven't really exercised a conscious choice but customers like me and others on here have.

IMHO, you have a rather distorted view of your position in the PlusNet Galaxy. You have not "bought in" to PlusNet; rather, you are simply a customer. PlusNet is not a Mutual company and as such, you have no place in their business decision making process. If you like the service you stay and if you don't , you can leave within the terms of your contract.
This Forum allows us to input our views to PlusNet to facilitate them giving us what we want for the fees we pay them. We are only one such party inputting views and in the spectrum of the galaxy, we are lower in priority than some others - for example BT who own the company.
Remember that it was BT who bought MAAF and lobbed it into the PlusNet portfolio. You have to consider that BT will be monitoring PlusNet's responsible use of the BT assets under its management and in this context, PlusNet have to consider the investment made in Durban and the perceived value of the service and quality of service that it provides to MAAF and JLP customers.
Only my opinion and I am entitled to that.  Smiley

Yes indeed it is a business and not a mutual and yes like all of us I'm just a customer paying a sub.
However my point was that I could have selected any broadband operator but decided to select plusnet on the basis that the service was reasonable price and that from the contents of the site that unlike a lot of the consumer ISPs they seemed to know about what they were actually selling rather than just reselling someone else's product.
Therefore, I tend to like to deal with those running the service  that I'm paying for who is a networking professional as opposed reading from a script who is a customer service professional.
While in any team, people will have differing knowledge and levels of knowledge, its more likely I will deal with someone that can help from first point dealing with sheffield.
Besides this, I'm keen to support jobs remaining in the UK in the same way as people in SA would support jobs there and would be a little concerned if one of their firms anounced that support was being outsourced to Sheffield or anywhere else in the UK or elsewhere.
And yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Smiley as thankfully we don't yet live in a dictatorship provided you discount the coronation of our cuurent PM as opposed to him becomeing leader and calling an election which would have given us the chouce but that debate is for another place.

petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
@Peter Jackson
I assume you are agreeing with me as your list only has one customer service item. My point was there has been references to "awards for customer service" for the South African  customer support when if fact there has not. There is one recommendation which lacks validity and reliability.

You simply don't get service awards if you don't back it up with excellent customer support.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Just to clear up a couple of things on here. The SA Callcentre is contracted though it is contracted directly to Plusnet and not BT, so we actually do the governing of what goes on there and how issues are dealt with. It is true that the staff there are officially licensed to the contractor but this has been the case right through from the early days of Madasafish to the takeover to today. Even though that is the case they have always felt like they worked directly for Brightview and we've spent a great deal of effort ensuring that they feel the same about Plusnet. I can confirm following any number of conversations with them that this is definitely the case both over there and here in Sheffield - we have a lot of new colleagues who are a joy to work with.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Which customers will be affected by this Outsourcing?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Not applicable

Only those who need to use customer support - most of the time, most people won't even know about the change.
>End flippant comment.
>Run and hide
>End
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: axisofevil

It's a short post, please forgive the whole preceding quote thing....
It depends on what gets changed, however as we've said even if workflows are changed they will be shared between sites rather than 'Outsourced' - there'll always be core teams in Sheffield and you'll never not be able to speak to a Sheffield staff member should you need.
Is there anything in particular you're worried about? We don't have a great deal of specific information as we've already said, simply because the decisions haven't been made. Should any further changes be taking place we will be blogging and posting here letting you know what's going on.
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: orbrey

Is there anything in particular you're worried about? We don't have a great deal of specific information as we've already said, simply because the decisions haven't been made. Should any further changes be taking place we will be blogging and posting here letting you know what's going on.

Well yes!
As an ex-customer with Demon, I was driven half-mad by ill-trained people in India following their scripts and never volunteering any help.
(This was despite the head office being about 3 miles from my house).
These people were unable to have any contact with BT for sorting out profiles.
Presumably BT wouldn't respond favourably to these foreign calls...
Basically my major reason for switching to Plusnet was that it promised a UK support centre.
See
http://portal.plus.net/residential/broadband/bbyw_option3.shtml
Especially 24/7 support from experts in the UK
Plusnet should appreciate that this is a major selling point - and something that is very persuasive in retaining customers.
Surely there are empty buildings in Sheffield or London that could be put to use?
Anyone who can set up a comms line all the way to Durban could manage a UK line.  Smiley

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As an ex-customer with Demon, I was driven half-mad by ill-trained people in India following their scripts and never volunteering any help.

The SA callcentre are fully trained and do not follow any set scripts whatsoever. If they weren't already capable of supporting a broadband service (including dealing directly with BT for provisioning and faults purposes, along with the other minutiae of broadband supply) Madasafish wouldn't have got off the ground.
Basically my major reason for switching to Plusnet was that it promised a UK support centre.
See
http://portal.plus.net/re...adband/bbyw_option3.shtml
Especially 24/7 support from experts in the UK
Plusnet should appreciate that this is a major selling point - and something that is very persuasive in retaining customers.

...Which is exactly why we aren't getting rid of it. We know exactly how important it is. Does it not help to consider the callcentre in South Africa an extension of the UK callcentre, rather than any kind of replacement?
VileReynard
Hero

The SA centre will expand.
The Sheffield centre will contract.
Call me a cynic.  Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
The blog covers this point quite well in my opinion.
And we’ll also always keep a core team for every stream of work here in Sheffield.

Not to mention that we're actually recruiting in Sheffield at the moment.
We’re still hiring into the Sheffield CSC http://www.plus.net/careers/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Confidence restored, PlusNet are looking for one "fixed term" TSA.
Mark
Grafter

Chilly, I can promise you that we are recruiting significantly more than 1 analyst currently.
Santiago
Grafter

The SA centre will expand.
The Sheffield centre will contract.
Call me a cynic.  Smiley

OK You're a cynic but when you think about plusnet's business, why do they need a location in the UK at all.
Apparently the South African CS department is the best thing since sliced bread, so will plusnet will move more departments to Durban?
techguy
Grafter

Proof of the pudding I suppose.
Remember you can always complain/post on here and if all else fails, ask for your MAC.
I am hopeful that I'll not have to contact tech support anyway.
If I lived in Sheffield I might have applied.